MD & DO Applying this summer.. What are my chances

Started by jaymoe
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jaymoe

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am getting ready to apply this summer and am just curious about what others think my chances are. My premed advisor isn't very helpful so I honestly don't know where I stand.

-cGPA-3.456 sGPA-3.3 (alot of B's from freshman and some of sophomore year, kicked it in gear and got A's in my chemistry classes and physiology classes)

I'm taking the MCAT next week(05/22/2014)... eekk! I am hoping for a 32 have been getting 3o's and 31's on my latest kaplan practice tests.

-Clinical volunteer activities- 25 hours HIV/STD tester

-Physician shadowing-20 hours Pediatrician (MD)
-65 hours Family physician (DO) Kinda worried about this one because he is my uncle
-Research- Summer research fellowship with a professor (379 hours)

-Nonclinical volunteer activities -100+hours coaching Special Olympics
-25 hours Great Hospital Adventure (went into elementary schools and taught children about doctors and nurses)

-Employment-Worked for Home Depot the summer before college.
Worked for the city of my home town mowing lawns for two summers
Hopefully working for a Special needs group home this summer

-Clinical Experience-20 hours of CNA clinical experience during my CNA certification

The DO schools i'm going to apply to are:
A.T Still University in Arizona
Pacific Northwest University in Washington (has a program for special acceptance for my state)
Western in Oregon and California
Midwestern in Chicago and Arizona
Those are my top choices for DO

I am also going to apply to some MD schools depending on my MCAT- worried my GPA is a little low for MD
 
-cGPA-3.456 sGPA-3.3 (alot of B's from freshman and some of sophomore year, kicked it in gear and got A's in my chemistry classes and physiology classes)

I'm taking the MCAT next week(05/22/2014)... eekk! I am hoping for a 32 have been getting 3o's and 31's on my latest kaplan practice tests.

-Clinical volunteer activities- 25 hours HIV/STD tester

-Physician shadowing-20 hours Pediatrician (MD)
-65 hours Family physician (DO) Kinda worried about this one because he is my uncle
-Research- Summer research fellowship with a professor (379 hours)

-Nonclinical volunteer activities -100+hours coaching Special Olympics
-25 hours Great Hospital Adventure (went into elementary schools and taught children about doctors and nurses)

-Employment-Worked for Home Depot the summer before college.
Worked for the city of my home town mowing lawns for two summers
Hopefully working for a Special needs group home this summer

-Clinical Experience-20 hours of CNA clinical experience during my CNA certification

The DO schools i'm going to apply to are:
A.T Still University in Arizona
Pacific Northwest University in Washington (has a program for special acceptance for my state)
Western in Oregon and California
Midwestern in Chicago and Arizona
Those are my top choices for DO

I am also going to apply to some MD schools depending on my MCAT- worried my GPA is a little low for MD
Stats-wise you can see the chances of past applicants for MD based on your cGPA and various MCAT score outcomes here: Success rate of those who applied with your cGPA and MCAT

For DO schools, if you apply to the new schools, you might be OK with a 26+.

My concern for both MD and DO applications is that while I see a good amount of shadowing (85 hours, and yes, shadowing an uncle is fine as long as they don't write your LOR) you have very little active clinical experience (25+20 hours only). I'd hope you plan to fix that, ideally, before you submit your application.
 
Agree with @Catalystik. I don't think MD is in your future, but you have a chance at getting some DO IIs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The clinical EC hours are on the low side and might be a problem. The GPAs are fine for any DO program, inclduing mine. For MD schools, well, they're circling the drain. MSAR Online is your friend. Aim low.

I am getting ready to apply this summer and am just curious about what others think my chances are. My premed advisor isn't very helpful so I honestly don't know where I stand.

-cGPA-3.456 sGPA-3.3 (alot of B's from freshman and some of sophomore year, kicked it in gear and got A's in my chemistry classes and physiology classes)

I'm taking the MCAT next week(05/22/2014)... eekk! I am hoping for a 32 have been getting 3o's and 31's on my latest kaplan practice tests.

-Clinical volunteer activities- 25 hours HIV/STD tester

-Physician shadowing-20 hours Pediatrician (MD)
-65 hours Family physician (DO) Kinda worried about this one because he is my uncle
-Research- Summer research fellowship with a professor (379 hours)

-Nonclinical volunteer activities -100+hours coaching Special Olympics
-25 hours Great Hospital Adventure (went into elementary schools and taught children about doctors and nurses)

-Employment-Worked for Home Depot the summer before college.
Worked for the city of my home town mowing lawns for two summers
Hopefully working for a Special needs group home this summer

-Clinical Experience-20 hours of CNA clinical experience during my CNA certification

The DO schools i'm going to apply to are:
A.T Still University in Arizona
Pacific Northwest University in Washington (has a program for special acceptance for my state)
Western in Oregon and California
Midwestern in Chicago and Arizona
Those are my top choices for DO

I am also going to apply to some MD schools depending on my MCAT- worried my GPA is a little low for MD
 
Thank you guys for the feedback! I know my clinical areas are my biggest weakness but I just don't know if I have enough time to fix it. Lets just hope I get a good MCAT score!