Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

MD & DO Applying this summer.. What are my chances

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by jaymoe, 05.16.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. jaymoe

jaymoe

I am getting ready to apply this summer and am just curious about what others think my chances are. My premed advisor isn't very helpful so I honestly don't know where I stand.

-cGPA-3.456 sGPA-3.3 (alot of B's from freshman and some of sophomore year, kicked it in gear and got A's in my chemistry classes and physiology classes)

I'm taking the MCAT next week(05/22/2014)... eekk! I am hoping for a 32 have been getting 3o's and 31's on my latest kaplan practice tests.

-Clinical volunteer activities- 25 hours HIV/STD tester

-Physician shadowing-20 hours Pediatrician (MD)
    -65 hours Family physician (DO) Kinda worried about this one because he is my uncle
    -Research- Summer research fellowship with a professor (379 hours)

-Nonclinical volunteer activities -100+hours coaching Special Olympics
    -25 hours Great Hospital Adventure (went into elementary schools and taught children about doctors and nurses)

-Employment-Worked for Home Depot the summer before college.
    Worked for the city of my home town mowing lawns for two summers
    Hopefully working for a Special needs group home this summer

-Clinical Experience-20 hours of CNA clinical experience during my CNA certification

The DO schools i'm going to apply to are:
    A.T Still University in Arizona
    Pacific Northwest University in Washington (has a program for special acceptance for my state)
    Western in Oregon and California
    Midwestern in Chicago and Arizona
    Those are my top choices for DO

I am also going to apply to some MD schools depending on my MCAT- worried my GPA is a little low for MD

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Catalystik

Catalystik Providing herd protection SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    Stats-wise you can see the chances of past applicants for MD based on your cGPA and various MCAT score outcomes here: Success rate of those who applied with your cGPA and MCAT

For DO schools, if you apply to the new schools, you might be OK with a 26+.

My concern for both MD and DO applications is that while I see a good amount of shadowing (85 hours, and yes, shadowing an uncle is fine as long as they don't write your LOR) you have very little active clinical experience (25+20 hours only). I'd hope you plan to fix that, ideally, before you submit your application.

4. BrawnsNBrain

BrawnsNBrain Twitter: @BrawnsNBrain

Medical Student
    Agree with @Catalystik. I don't think MD is in your future, but you have a chance at getting some DO IIs.

5. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    The clinical EC hours are on the low side and might be a problem. The GPAs are fine for any DO program, inclduing mine. For MD schools, well, they're circling the drain. MSAR Online is your friend. Aim low.

6. jaymoe

jaymoe

Thank you guys for the feedback! I know my clinical areas are my biggest weakness but I just don't know if I have enough time to fix it. Lets just hope I get a good MCAT score!

About the ads