Applying thru NRMP as a DO applicant

Started by wsingh
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wsingh

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm applying thru the NRMP as a DO applicant, and I was thinking about applying for a waiver thru the AOA. I'd love to hear from people who've done this and how difficult/easy was it to get the waiver from the AOA.
I've got only 3 interviews so far, hoping this changes after Nov. 1st.
1. Univ of Nebraska
2. St.Lukes, PA
3. York, PA

WS
😕
 
I'm on an AOA committee & the official word I got was that there have been hundreds of waivers granted and something like 4 rejected (seriously...low to mid single digits). Clearly it isn't too tough.
 
As DrMom says, its not tough. I dont' know any DO who went to an MD institution that had trouble getting it waived. The AOA and the "pro-DO residencies" will tell students its "impossible" to get waived, but they just say that to steer applicants towards the DO residencies.

Its not a problem. Go where you feel you'll get the best training, be that MD or DO, and you'll do the RIGHT thing.

Q
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
DrMom said:
I'm on an AOA committee & the official word I got was that there have been hundreds of waivers granted and something like 4 rejected (seriously...low to mid single digits). Clearly it isn't too tough.

does anyone know why those few were rejected? any pattern to avoid??
 
cooldreams said:
does anyone know why those few were rejected? any pattern to avoid??

I wasn't given any reason. Given the extremely high rate of acceptance, I wouldn't be surprised if it just came down to these people not being very diplomatic in their requests (ie: not talking about the value of their Osteopathic roots/education, etc).
 
DrMom said:
I wasn't given any reason. Given the extremely high rate of acceptance, I wouldn't be surprised if it just came down to these people not being very diplomatic in their requests (ie: not talking about the value of their Osteopathic roots/education, etc).

It wasn't difficult at all for me. I'm approved pending doing a family med month and going to an AOA convention (my wife and I are going to San Francisco next month). However, I'll be the first resident of the program to have the first year approved. I know of at least 3 of the seniors who did not get theirs approved. This may be due to the DO EM program at Memorial Hospital less than 10, maybe 5 miles away. Maybe I had an easier time because I had an exceptional circumstance of first participating in the DO match before the NRMP match.

Em