Applying thru NRMP as a DO applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wsingh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying thru the NRMP as a DO applicant, and I was thinking about applying for a waiver thru the AOA. I'd love to hear from people who've done this and how difficult/easy was it to get the waiver from the AOA.
I've got only 3 interviews so far, hoping this changes after Nov. 1st.
1. Univ of Nebraska
2. St.Lukes, PA
3. York, PA

WS
:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm on an AOA committee & the official word I got was that there have been hundreds of waivers granted and something like 4 rejected (seriously...low to mid single digits). Clearly it isn't too tough.

As DrMom says, its not tough. I dont' know any DO who went to an MD institution that had trouble getting it waived. The AOA and the "pro-DO residencies" will tell students its "impossible" to get waived, but they just say that to steer applicants towards the DO residencies.

Its not a problem. Go where you feel you'll get the best training, be that MD or DO, and you'll do the RIGHT thing.

Q

Members don't see this ad :)
DrMom said:
I'm on an AOA committee & the official word I got was that there have been hundreds of waivers granted and something like 4 rejected (seriously...low to mid single digits). Clearly it isn't too tough.

does anyone know why those few were rejected? any pattern to avoid??

cooldreams said:
does anyone know why those few were rejected? any pattern to avoid??

I wasn't given any reason. Given the extremely high rate of acceptance, I wouldn't be surprised if it just came down to these people not being very diplomatic in their requests (ie: not talking about the value of their Osteopathic roots/education, etc).

DrMom said:
I wasn't given any reason. Given the extremely high rate of acceptance, I wouldn't be surprised if it just came down to these people not being very diplomatic in their requests (ie: not talking about the value of their Osteopathic roots/education, etc).

It wasn't difficult at all for me. I'm approved pending doing a family med month and going to an AOA convention (my wife and I are going to San Francisco next month). However, I'll be the first resident of the program to have the first year approved. I know of at least 3 of the seniors who did not get theirs approved. This may be due to the DO EM program at Memorial Hospital less than 10, maybe 5 miles away. Maybe I had an easier time because I had an exceptional circumstance of first participating in the DO match before the NRMP match.

Em