Applying to 2 specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apply Pressure

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Searched previous threads and came up short...

I was wondering if its possible to successfully apply/interview for 2 different specialties within the same hospital. I'm applying for a competitive field but also IM. I have a slight preference for location over specialty in the match, though the more competitive field is my first choice.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure what answer you couldn't find in previous (numerous) threads on this topic.

It is absolutely possible to apply for and interview at two different programs in the same hospital. Whether or not you can match depends on how competitive you are, and whether the respective programs don't know about each other being in the running.

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

... and whether the respective programs don't know about each other being in the running.

This is the main issue really... How frequently are programs within the same hospital talking with each other? How does cross-talk affect matching? Is it uniformly considered unfavorable to do this etc.

Some information along those lines would be helpful.

Agreed...it depends on which two programs. If you're talking about IM and Rads, they probably don't talk. If you're talking about Gen Surg and Plastics (in places where plastics is a division of general surgery), they may. Most probably don't.

The other issue is whether or not you are seen and recognized on your interview. Let's say you interview for IM at Hospital A and rave about how much you love IM. Then you get invited to Hospital A for a Derm interview. IM resident sees you walking around the hospital in your suit with the Derms and rightfully assumes that you are not really interested in IM but using it as a back-up and informs the PD. Whether or not this scenario plays out as I've described is unknown but it is rumoured to happen. Cross talk can affect matching because they will:

a) know you have lied to them about your interest
b) assume you are using them to simply match into the more competitive specialty and if an open position comes up, will bail

Is it uniformly considered inappropriate? It happens a lot and many competitive specialties tell applicants to have a Plan B in the event of not matching. But I'm fairly sure they would not encourage indiscretion, lying or being found out that you're doing this. No program wants a resident who really doesn't want to be there. So tread carefully. You probably won't be found out, but don't be suprised if you are.

Interesting.
My med school pretty much strongly discouraged people from applying to two specialties, other than maybe applying for a surgery or IM prelim spot as a backup if necessary. Their reason I think was not wanting our med school to get a reputation of being a place where applicants applied to picky specialties and then applied to medicine programs or peds programs as a "backup", because such a scenario would might make it harder to match for the legitimate medicine or peds applicants from our school (i.e. in the minds of our career counselors, the people who were applying ONLY to those specialties). It makes sense from the point of view of the med school, although these advising techniques are not necessarily best for an individual applicant in something like rads or urology, etc. who is only borderline competitive, and might rather have a backup categorical spot (even in something like IM or surgery) than be stuck trying to go through the match again in a year or two.