Changing specialties after practicing for a few years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The kitchen sink

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone changed specialties after practicing for a few years?

i.e. apply to a residency match again

I am contemplating a switch but do not know how to navigate this

Would love to hear any stories of those who have done this.

Thanks 🙂

Members don't see this ad.

has anyone changed specialties after practicing for a few years?

i.e. apply to a residency match again

I am contemplating a switch but do not know how to navigate this

Would love to hear any stories of those who have done this.

Thanks 🙂
It happens, but it's not common. A lot depends on from what to what and how competitive you would have been for the new specialty at the end of med school and how you can spin your story and experience (and get LORs) to support your application.

Details (if you're willing to share them) would be helpful. If you're not interested in posting publicly, the Confidential Consult forum is limited to vetted Experts who are mostly mod/admin staff and is not shared with anyone other than those individuals and not posted publicly at all.

Reactions: 3 users
It happens, but it's not common. A lot depends on from what to what and how competitive you would have been for the new specialty at the end of med school and how you can spin your story and experience (and get LORs) to support your application.

Details (if you're willing to share them) would be helpful. If you're not interested in posting publicly, the Confidential Consult forum is limited to vetted Experts who are mostly mod/admin staff and is not shared with anyone other than those individuals and not posted publicly at all.

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I will post on there.

I am a moderately competitive applicant who is considering switch to Psychiatry.

Have a change of heart and want to pursue this change. Life is too short to linger in a specialty that is not fulfilling, or only partially fulfilling.

I can PM you details if interested in hearing more. Or I’ll leave it to the experts in that forum.