Applying to a MOT program but missing a prereq..?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jonpall

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just like the title states, is it possible/advisable to apply to a MOT program when you are missing a prereq (but it is still in progress)?

Here is my dilemma; I am missing only one prereq, but it is kind of a big one - A&P II.
I have completed all of the other prereqs except for this one. I am currently in my senior year of college and I have FULL schedule.... In fact I'm on "overload status," as I am taking 18 hours per semester this year. The thing is, I would have A&P II finished before the MOT program started, but not before I submitted my application.

There is no way for me to rearrange my schedule as I will need all of these classes in order to finish my undergrad on time (dbl major in psych in sociology). I was just planning on taking A&P II over the summer after I graduated with my BA.. But of course the application deadline for the MOT program will be in December, several months before I would have A&P II completed..

SO..... to sum it up: can/should I apply to MOT programs now or should I finish my A&P II over the summer of '13, then apply afterwards? (If this is the case, I would basically have an entire year off between getting my BA and starting the MOT program, which is something I really did not want to do.) If I did apply now, would I just list the A&P II prereq as "in progress"? -and if so, would that really hurt my chances of getting accepted into most programs? Idk... I'm not really sure what to do in this situation.. :confused:
I would just really hate to have an entire year off between starting the MOT program due to missing one prereq...

Please let me know what you guys think! What would you do if you were in this situation?

Thanks for any advice! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the reply, I think my stats are pretty good overall, but I may be lacking a little in observation hours/eca's...

My Stats:
Overall GPA: 3.76 (currently in my senior year, dbl major in psych and sociology.)
Prereq GPA: 3.88 (B+ in in A&P I)
GRE (haven't taken yet)
Observations: 80 hours mostly in inpatient hospital setting
ECA's: Psi Chi (psych honor society), Alpha Kappa Delta (soc honor society)
Other: 5 years active duty in the army -Iraq war vet,I work about 20-30 hours per week while in school (unrelated office job) ...and I'm a Male.

I was missing statistics when I applied I got in on the condition I would finish stat and so I took it over summer at a community college then sent the transcript to them and they let me in the MOT. I was nervous all summer I'll never forget it hah...waiting on if I was gonna get it done in time and make the grade they wanted. But I came out with an A and I finished it end of June and made it in time they gave me until mid July. I'm now in my MOT program.

Some schools don't care if you finish a pre-req the day before the OT program starts, but some want it done a semester or so worth of time early. Don't forget that many schools start in the summer as well, which would leave you no time to complete the course. If you have a defined list of schools you're interested in, it wouldn't hurt to contact their admissions committees and explain your dilemma to them. That way, you don't waste your time/money applying to schools who will refuse you admission based on that. Is there any way you can push back a course or 2 required by your degree to graduate in the summer instead of spring and take A&P II earlier? I know that kind of sucks, but it would give the schools you're applying to a more complete view of you as an applicant compared to everyone else that DOES have A&P II done with a good grade. Either way, if A&P II isn't on your initial application, I think you need to take the GRE ASAP. Schools that require the GRE might write you off if you are missing both a huge pre-req and a standardized test. If you can get the GRE done soon and pull off a 50%ile+ average, I think you still have a solid chance at getting accepted this cycle, even if A&P II won't be done until schools have already made a decision about accepting you. The fact that you're a male and have a unique background in the military will bring a lot to the table in your favor. APPLY EARLY for the best results and best of luck!!