Applying to a school that's not yet accredited

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Daniel M. Pitta

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took a campus visit to Adventist U in Orlando over the summer and really enjoyed it. However, they are not yet accredited. The program director told me that they are a 'candidate' for accreditation, but will not be able to get final word from CAPTE regarding their status until their first class graduates. Their first class is beginning this summer...I enjoyed my campus visit, and am looking to relocate to Florida, however my low cGPA will make it very difficult to get into UCF, USF or Miami. Should I bother applying to this program as a backup plan? I'm wondering what happens if I go through the 3-year program and they're still not accredited. I'm going to apply this summer for Fall '17 admission.
 
I took a campus visit to Adventist U in Orlando over the summer and really enjoyed it. However, they are not yet accredited. The program director told me that they are a 'candidate' for accreditation, but will not be able to get final word from CAPTE regarding their status until their first class graduates. Their first class is beginning this summer...I enjoyed my campus visit, and am looking to relocate to Florida, however my low cGPA will make it very difficult to get into UCF, USF or Miami. Should I bother applying to this program as a backup plan? I'm wondering what happens if I go through the 3-year program and they're still not accredited. I'm going to apply this summer for Fall '17 admission.

Find out if they have articulation agreements with other programs in the event that the program fails to garner accreditation. I would say it's worth a shot if you think your stats aren't great. I applied to two candidates for accreditation programs (Emory & Henry and Methodist) both had plans to send students to finish their degree elsewhere if they didn't get accredited. I have/had low stats, I was given interviews to both programs but declined them since I got accepted to an accredited program. It's a nice safety to have, since not waiting another year and going through the whole process again would set you back.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Find out if they have articulation agreements with other programs in the event that the program fails to garner accreditation. I would say it's worth a shot if you think your stats aren't great. I applied to two candidates for accreditation programs (Emory & Henry and Methodist) both had plans to send students to finish their degree elsewhere if they didn't get accredited. I have/had low stats, I was given interviews to both programs but declined them since I got accepted to an accredited program. It's a nice safety to have, since not waiting another year and going through the whole process again would set you back.
Nice...congrats. What were your stats, if you don't mind me asking?