Applying to dental program + another program at one school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clovers

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I will be applying to dental school in 2007 and at the same time I also wanted to apply to a dental hygiene school. My concern is my top choice dental school also has a dental hygiene program and I wanted to apply to both the dental program and dental hygiene program. Would that particular school care that I am applying to two programs? Other than the fact that on AADSAS they will ask me if I am applying to any other program besides dental, how else would they know?

Members don't see this ad.

i understand dmd/phd, dmd/mph, even dmd/mba...

but dental school and hygiene school concurrently? i don't get it...

I don't get it. If you want to be a dentist why are you applying to a hygiene school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like he or she is trying to cover all there bases, if they don't get into dental school theres always hygiene school and vice versa!

Clovers said:
Hi Everyone,

I will be applying to dental school in 2007 and at the same time I also wanted to apply to a dental hygiene school. My concern is my top choice dental school also has a dental hygiene program and I wanted to apply to both the dental program and dental hygiene program. Would that particular school care that I am applying to two programs? Other than the fact that on AADSAS they will ask me if I am applying to any other program besides dental, how else would they know?

Clovers, firstly, it's not a good idea to tell the school that you're applying to both. It shows that you're not absolutely positive about being a dentist and that's what they look for since many don't know exactly what dentistry is all about. That's why they ask on AADSAS...you lose some esteem in their eyes if you're also applying to podiatry school, med school, grad school, etc.

Also, I agree with the others. Go the full way and just apply to dental school!!! If you don't make it, you can always be an assistant or get some experience and apply the next year! You know from SDN how much perserverance us applicants have and that one frustrating year doesn't mean that we give up!!!

Also, I think some states let you sit for the hygiene exam after your second year in dental school anyway, so you'd get the best of both worlds.

GO ALL THE WAY!! PROVE TO YOURSELF THAT YOU CAN DO IT!!! :thumbup:

I'mFillingFine said:
Clovers, firstly, it's not a good idea to tell the school that you're applying to both. It shows that you're not absolutely positive about being a dentist and that's what they look for since many don't know exactly what dentistry is all about. That's why they ask on AADSAS...you lose some esteem in their eyes if you're also applying to podiatry school, med school, grad school, etc.

Also, I agree with the others. Go the full way and just apply to dental school!!! If you don't make it, you can always be an assistant or get some experience and apply the next year! You know from SDN how much perserverance us applicants have and that one frustrating year doesn't mean that we give up!!!

Also, I think some states let you sit for the hygiene exam after your second year in dental school anyway, so you'd get the best of both worlds.

GO ALL THE WAY!! PROVE TO YOURSELF THAT YOU CAN DO
IT!!! :thumbup:

Aint that the truth!

I'm just so afraid I won't make it to dental school because my science GPA is very low. I don't have the money to do a postbac and most postbac programs are only open to those who are from disadvantaged backgrounds. I don't know what else I can do to boost up my science GPA. Do you guys/gals have any suggestions on how I can become a competitive for the next application cycle given that I really don't have the money to do a postbac or masters?

Clovers said:
I'm just so afraid I won't make it to dental school because my science GPA is very low. I don't have the money to do a postbac and most postbac programs are only open to those who are from disadvantaged backgrounds. I don't know what else I can do to boost up my science GPA. Do you guys/gals have any suggestions on how I can become a competitive for the next application cycle given that I really don't have the money to do a postbac or masters?

Maybe you can take the money you would have spent on the 2007 application cycle (a few thousand dollars with going to interviews and all that) and find a really cheap bostbacc program? Meanwhile you can try to get employed as a dental assistant or lab tech. That way, if you don't feel that you'd be competitive enough for 2007 to be worth applying, you can just get yourself geared up for 2008 with some saved money, a higher GPA, and some work experience.