Applying to dental school while abroad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stickybear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in quite a pickle. Is it possible for me to apply for the 2013-2014 cycle while abroad in Asia? I know that I can do everything online, but I'm really concerned about the interview. While abroad, I can't come back to the US for interviews (it's not a matter of money, rather my job won't allow me to miss work)... so... erhm, help? Any suggestions? I'm hoping the dental schools would allow me to schedule the interviews on Asian holidays so that I wouldn't have to miss work. Although I doubt they'd be sympathetic to my situation.

Members don't see this ad.

All apps are online, you are right. If you're lucky, you might be able to choose between a few dates. But the chances of those landing on holidays may be low. Wouldn't it be more worth it to come back for those interviews rather than working those few days in Asia?

I would want to come back, but the attendance policy is rather strict. I was thinking of taking "sick leave" when the interview(s) comes...

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude, if you're serious about attending dental school, then you quit your job, come to the U.S. and interview. Plain and simple.

I would want to come back, but the attendance policy is rather strict. I was thinking of taking "sick leave" when the interview(s) comes...

Problem solved!

Interviews are mandatory for admissions.

Yeah you'll definitely not want to be out of the country during interview time! Once you get interviews they'll give you a few dates to choose - at Tufts its either choose one of these 4 dates - or lose your spot...not so flexible gluck!

Hello!

While I'm not pre-dent, I'm pre-med, and I'm currently applying while teaching in Asia. I'll be flying back for interviews...oh god, it's tomorrow now, isn't it! In addition, one of my parents was the Dean of Admissions at a dental school for almost a decade, so hopefully I can offer some advice!

Basically, applying from abroad sucks, but so far I've found it doable. While I'm sure that some schools will be more difficult than others, admissions staff are people and will generally be understanding of your situation (if you are applying from abroad, it's probably one of the things that made you stand out in the first place!) Particularly if you plan a date well in advance, I don't think most schools will have too much of a problem with it, and every school that's offered me an interview has let me choose dates that were the most convenient for me.

That being said, they really don't seem to be receptive of skype/phone interviews. Very few actually offer them, and to be honest, even the ones that do wouldn't look favorably upon them. After everything you've worked for, it would suck to put yourself at a disadvantage right at the finish line. There's really no way around making at least one trip back, and probably two, unless you get really lucky. When I told my boss that I wanted to return to the US, his gut reaction was definitely a big "NO." However, when I explained that it wasn't just for fun, that I was actually going to help my career, he took a completely different tone and my request was processed that day. Obviously, I don't know your work situation, but that has just been my personal experience.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, please let me know!

Considering the fact that a bunch of schools give interview invites over the phone, how are they going to call you? I bet a bunch of secretaries have no idea how to make an international phone call. And I bet some schools' phone systems don't even allow outgoing international calls.

Yeah, this is a huge pain, for sure. Though my interviews so far have been through e-mail, I've tried to plan in the event that I get one from a school that does phone calls. I'm lucky to have really awesome parents, and I updated my phone number on my application to my mother's number when I left. If I knew for sure that a school used phone calls, I sent a short e-mail mentioning the update and explaining the situation. Not sure if that's the best way, but it's worked so far.

Yeah, this is a huge pain, for sure. Though my interviews so far have been through e-mail, I've tried to plan in the event that I get one from a school that does phone calls. I'm lucky to have really awesome parents, and I updated my phone number on my application to my mother's number when I left. If I knew for sure that a school used phone calls, I sent a short e-mail mentioning the update and explaining the situation. Not sure if that's the best way, but it's worked so far.

Are you one of those English teachers in Korea lol?

Thanks Lovedove! That helped so much. Yeah, I'm pretty much in the same situation. I'll be doing an English Teaching position in Asia, and I really don't want to give that up, since it's basically my only time to travel unburdened by a career or I guess what I think of as "grown up" responsibilities.

What's so funny about teaching in Korea?

It's funny how the native Koreans will pay any joe schmo from U.S, Canada or England $$$ to teach them English even though 99.9999% of these people have no formal English teaching certification or credential and in many cases, possess less knowledge about proper English grammar than the Korean natives who studied English grammar since kindergarten.

Last edited:
I'm in quite a pickle. Is it possible for me to apply for the 2013-2014 cycle while abroad in Asia? I know that I can do everything online, but I'm really concerned about the interview. While abroad, I can't come back to the US for interviews (it's not a matter of money, rather my job won't allow me to miss work)... so... erhm, help? Any suggestions? I'm hoping the dental schools would allow me to schedule the interviews on Asian holidays so that I wouldn't have to miss work. Although I doubt they'd be sympathetic to my situation.

Are you doing a teaching program? I applied while abroad but I knew I was coming home before interviews. The only issue I had was finding a printer and mailing in a secondary.

Yes, I'm doing a teaching program. I'll be out of the country while interviews start.

Yes, I'm doing a teaching program. I'll be out of the country while interviews start.

Then apply not for the 2013-2014 cycle but rather for the 2014-2015 cycle.

Ask yourself if its worth putting it off for an extra year on top of the year that you are already putting it off. If it is then you've made the right decision :thumbup: