Applying to dental schools as a green card holder in the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doge2022

Reaction score
Hello. I am just about to wrap up my 3rd year in a dental school in my home country. My parents have recently learned that they won the DV lottery. Sadly enough, I am way past my age limit in order to be eligible as a derivative. I'm planning to stay in my home country while my parents will try their best to settle in the US. We are planning to reunite via the F2B visa. Although I do realise that the standard processing time is circa 6 to 7 years. So that means that by the time I receive my green card, I will have already finished my dental degree and obtained some experience in the industry. I have a strong desire to become a dental practitioner in the US but I want to take the longer route, i.e, going through the whole DDS program instead of an Advanced standing option. I guess my question is what are the most salient benefits of having a green card for the purposes of admission into dental schools in the US? How does it affect the tuition fees? I've heard that it would only make a difference if I were to become a permanent resident of a specific state. And this could happen only after satisfying the physical presence and intent requirements. Hence, I'm risking to completely waste more than a year of my life. How would this gap impact my application, given that I would be applying as a permanent resident? Could I just use this time in order to get some shadowing experience or work as a dental assistant so as to then include that into my application and strengthen my case? Would appreciate any help.

Members don't see this ad.

There seems to be some confusion. A green card is a permanent residency card. For some schools that accept foreign dental school graduates, the prescribed curriculum may not be your option. NYU, which has the largest contingent of international dental graduates, only offers a 4 year curriculum, assuming you are willing to shell out about 600K. Your post might get better traction on the International Dental section of the Forum.

Last edited:
There seems to be some confusion. A green card is a permanent residency card. For some schools that accept foreign dental school graduates, the prescribed curriculum may not be your option. NYU, which has the largest contingent of international dental graduates, only offers a 4 year curriculum, assuming you are willing to shell out about 600K. Your post might get better traction on the International Dental section of the Forum.
Hats off to you, sir. I'll repost it there. Just want to clarify one thing. Why would the offered curriculums be inapt in my specific case? Do you mean that these schools usually just reject this type of applicants?

Unlike undergraduate programs, dental school curricula or advanced placement programs do not offer a la cart course selection and a student will be required to take whatever prescribed program they are offering. Applying as a "regular" applicant, if it is even possible, will add 2-3 year of predental education since US dental school require prerequisites to have been taken at a US institution.
But wait..... it will take you 6-7 years before you step on US soil, you want to take "the longer route", but you think the one year residency requirement is a waste of one year of your life? WOW!