applying to ER 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MacPro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I had a few question regarding applying to ER after graduating from Med school. I am an MD/MPH candidate that will be finishing my program (MPH thesis) during the August session but graduating with MD in May and want to get some feedback on what are good things to do prior to the application & interview process. I would like to get some more hands-on clinical experience but I've heard that after graduation I can't do any rotations. I have avg. step I (200) & II (210), passed CS and will be taking Step III in Nov. since I wouldn't be doing anything else except work and interviews. I have 2-3 articles published and 2 manuscripts and couple of abstracts.

I was considering to just apply for a job during this year but want to get peoples (PD) opinion on what is the best way to increase my chances getting into an ER residency? One of my friends told me to just get a job as an ED scribe so that you are in the ED. However, those jobs are usually in the community setting and not academic, would that help or hurt my application? Would working in the Health Department do any help to my application towards ER if I'm doing Health related work using my MPH.

I appreciate your suggestions. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I had a few question regarding applying to ER after graduating from Med school. I am an MD/MPH candidate that will be finishing my program (MPH thesis) during the August session but graduating with MD in May and want to get some feedback on what are good things to do prior to the application & interview process...
Take a look at the SAEM student resources page (link in my sig). Particularly this one.

thank you. The SAEM site discussion are mostly for M3 & M4. I'm going to be done and was wondering if there is anything specific that needs to be done during this year. I have done clinical research for 2 yrs in the ED.

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you. The SAEM site discussion are mostly for M3 & M4. I'm going to be done and was wondering if there is anything specific that needs to be done during this year. I have done clinical research for 2 yrs in the ED.
Let's step back for a bit. From your post, your schedule is on track with what any US medical student does. You should apply this September to match in march of 2011. Graduating with a MD between April-June is normal for US students, and most people don't do rotations between graduating and starting intern year in July. (This is what I was going for with the link)

Did you take the MPH after doing MS4? But that doesn't jive with your latest post. :confused:

Could you give us a little more information about your situation? (current year, pathway through medical school, whether you're a US medical student, expected date to start residency)

Yeah, I'm doing my MPH after my fourth year because during 4th year I had a misfortune of needing major surgery which took me out of the interview process. Since I was interested in MPH and wanted to do the MPH after my 3rd, which did not work out, it was a great time to finish my MPH after my 4th year. Now, I'm in my last semester of finishing my MPH course and will be done with thesis in August.

So, I was a US medical student who graduated and currently finishing up MPH Epi/Biostat.

I would like to start residency in June/July 2011 in EM.

Yeah, I'm doing my MPH after my fourth year because during 4th year I had a misfortune of needing major surgery which took me out of the interview process. Since I was interested in MPH and wanted to do the MPH after my 3rd, which did not work out, it was a great time to finish my MPH after my 4th year. Now, I'm in my last semester of finishing my MPH course and will be done with thesis in August.

So, I was a US medical student who graduated and currently finishing up MPH Epi/Biostat.

I would like to start residency in June/July 2011 in EM.
OK. That makes more sense. I thought you meant done with the MD next May (in 2011).

Is there any way for you to extend your MS4 year? (assuming it doesn't cost you more tuition $$$) You really want to take advantage of the support provided by your school during the interview season and the Match.

Do you have an EMT license? - get $, stay involved with pts, maybe get some connections

Can you get a job in a lab? - pubs and academic connections. Maybe continue your MPH work. Will your department hire you? Could you look for jobs that use the MPH?

Yes, I have an EMT license and will try to run with a rescue squad, but no $ since it's volunteer. thank you for the suggestion. MPH work is not going to help much in EM according to some PDs as I have spoken to because it doesn't give patient contact.

I appreciate your suggestions.

Yes, I have an EMT license and will try to run with a rescue squad, but no $ since it's volunteer. thank you for the suggestion. MPH work is not going to help much in EM according to some PDs as I have spoken to because it doesn't give patient contact.

I appreciate your suggestions.
Well, the EMT should help you keep contact with patients (I'd look for a position that pays), and despite it not helping the EM app much, the MPH might help you get a higher-paying job (try your state's DoH or area hospitals). Will the ED where you did your MPH thesis work hire you? Continuing to use the MPH in the ED would be ideal, I'd think.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Yeah, I am looking into all of my options. Will see what happens. I don't know how beneficial it would be working for DoH but in the ED using my MPH is a good idea. I'll work to find if any doc needs a clinical research assistant.

Yup the MPH would be paying more but need to think about the coming year than what I'm being paid this year. I don't want to go to scramble, from what I have heard the application pool has increase and all specialties are becoming competitive.

Hi MacPro,

I am in a similar position. I was supposed to be graduating this year, but I ended up having to take some time off. My dean suggested that I do a research year and graduate next year instead, so that's what I'm going to do. The school won't charge me anything besides a few thousand dollars for a continuation fee, and I found a lab that will pay me, so I'll even end up coming out a little ahead. Maybe you should see if your school will let you do that like RxnMan said. I agree it seems a lot easier to apply as a senior than as a grad, unless you think you can prematch somewhere. Plus if you graduate now you'll have to start paying back your loans this year, won't you?

Hi Pure Anergy,

Yeah, that's what I was think too but my school did not share my sentiment. So, I am going to look for Prematch spots this coming year. I don't think there are many in EM, are there? I have no idea on that. I have to get some more info. This is ridiculous, we go through 8 years of costly education and end up without a job. What's wrong with our system?

Hi Pure Anergy,

Yeah, that's what I was think too but my school did not share my sentiment. So, I am going to look for Prematch spots this coming year. I don't think there are many in EM, are there? I have no idea on that. I have to get some more info. This is ridiculous, we go through 8 years of costly education and end up without a job. What's wrong with our system?
I don't know, I never tried to look for a prematch spot. Maybe you should start by asking your home program?

Hi,

I want to ask this Q from attending/PD. I'm going to be a year out when applying in 2010, I wanted to have close contact with the ED during this coming year. I'm trying to get a Medical Scribe position in the ED. I know that it doesn't pay that well, but I would always be with an attending and get letters of Rec, as well as, have a year in the ER with writing up h&ps, labs, Dx and d&c notes. Overtime, the attending will get to know me and how I Dx, order lab, and see how I do in h&p and d&c. Is this a good choice? Or would a year of research in the ED or possibly in NIH be better? Please, your advice & assistance is appreciated.

thank you.