Applying to Funded MSWs alongside PhDs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Cinnabon

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, it's occurred to me that I really don't know how much "I have in me" if I don't get in this cycle to continue the post-bac life. There's a high probability that funding gets pulled for the study that's funding my paycheck, this loss of funding would occur this summer. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of being primarily a researcher, but I honestly have considered that I'd probably have a happy and fulfilling life as a master's level clinician carving out a niche as well.

I'm fortunate enough to already have interviews at funded PhDs, but would it be a bad idea to throw in some apps to funded (or have a track record of giving solid financial support) MSW's as a "backup" alternative? A lot of MSWs I've looked at have a priority Jan 15th deadline, so I figure I could Frankenstein my current materials to send a solid MSW app.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It is up to you how much time you want to spend "chasing the dream" vs not. If you want this to be your final application cycle go for it if you want to be a therapist. If not, then think about what you might want to do. There is no "right" answer here, just what is right for you.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm fortunate enough to already have interviews at funded PhDs, but would it be a bad idea to throw in some apps to funded (or have a track record of giving solid financial support) MSW's as a "backup" alternative?
The only cost is the time/effort & money to put together these applications.

You can always withdraw an application or decline an interview later on if you change your mind. Or attend possible interviews and further consider this option alongside any PhD options that you may have.

It sounds like if you get a good PhD offer, this might be moot but as Sanman stated, unless you decide this weekish that nothing > funded MSW, then it could make sense to apply and see what happens.

Who knows, maybe you'll even end up taking an MSW offer over a PhD offer later this spring. There are certainly lots of benefits to that pathway.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The only cost is the time/effort & money to put together these applications.

You can always withdraw an application or decline an interview later on if you change your mind. Or attend possible interviews and further consider this option alongside any PhD options that you may have.

It sounds like if you get a good PhD offer, this might be moot but as Sanman stated, unless you decide this weekish that nothing > funded MSW, then it could make sense to apply and see what happens.

Who knows, maybe you'll even end up taking an MSW offer over a PhD offer later this spring. There are certainly lots of benefits to that pathway.
Yeah, It certainly wouldn't hurt so I figure why not. As ideal as the PhD would be, I'm not exactly thrilled about doing a metaphorical death march to get in. Although, I'm leaning towards just throwing in MSW apps next cycle instead, just so I can learn more about that path other than "it's the best bang for your buck if you want to be a therapist."

Why do you have to continue being a post bac if you don't get in this cycle? Take a break. I think your letter writers of choice are human beings and would not only understand but encourage some time making espressos, reading a novel or two, watching a bird feeder, engaging in your own therapy, etc..

Or is it that you feel more the constraints of time? If so, that's up to you, but I've seen your WAMC and you've got a hell of a CV (and specialized research interest) to change paths away from your goal of a PhD.

Only you know who you are & what you want. You may just be burnt out.

Reactions: 1 user
1) The pro move is to apply to EdD programs, if they still exist.

2) I wonder if this combo of licenses would be problematic, for billing purposes.

Why do you have to continue being a post bac if you don't get in this cycle? Take a break. I think your letter writers of choice are human beings and would not only understand but encourage some time making espressos, reading a novel or two, watching a bird feeder, engaging in your own therapy, etc..

Or is it that you feel more the constraints of time? If so, that's up to you, but I've seen your WAMC and you've got a hell of a CV (and specialized research interest) to change paths away from your goal of a PhD.

Only you know who you are & what you want. You may just be burnt out.
Nah, I'll hold off onto MSW apps for another cycle, but it's a pretty viable backup plan if needed.