Fully funded PsyD and PhD programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

memiller

Reaction score
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could help me out if they can answer any of my questions. I have been applying to PsyD programs and PhD programs. Does anyone know of PsyD programs that are partially or fully funded and offer a stipend?

I was also wondering if anyone knew of clinical psychology PhD programs that have more of a clinical focus such as scholar practitioner programs / practitioner scholar focus. I have good stats and want to make sure I am applying to good programs.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could help me out if they can answer any of my questions. I have been applying to PsyD programs and PhD programs. Does anyone know of PsyD programs that are partially or fully funded and offer a stipend?

I was also wondering if anyone knew of clinical psychology PhD programs that have more of a clinical focus such as scholar practitioner programs / practitioner scholar focus. I have good stats and want to make sure I am applying to good programs.

Thank you

Dozens upon dozens. You'll have to let people know what your research/clinical interests are to narrow down recs.

Reactions: 1 user
Dozens upon dozens. You'll have to let people know what your research/clinical interests are to narrow down recs.
I am very Interested in anxiety and depression In middle adulthood and older adulthood. I am also interested in borderline personality disorder and suicidal ideation, trauma informed treatment, and loneliness or social isolation and the impact on one’s mental health or suicide. I am very interested in suicidal behavior.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anxiety and depression are pretty broad, nearly every program will have a PI who fits into that broad umbrella. May have to narrow down to demonstrate fit in that area. BPD is a little more niche, but would definitely intersect with the SIB aspect.

Thank you, yes they are broad terms. I definitely have an interest in mood disorders, suicidal ideation, and trauma.

Do you know of any good PsyD or PhD programs that you recommend applying to?

Thank you, yes they are broad terms. I definitely have an interest in mood disorders, suicidal ideation, and trauma.

Do you know of any good PsyD or PhD programs that you recommend applying to?

In terms of BPD/SIB, not my area. Best bet is to see who is publishing in the area that you are interested in, see where they are employed, and do a little legwork to research those programs. As far as your interest in mood disorders and trauma, you will have to be more specific, as there are many programs that may fit that focus in some capacity. You will have to sell your interests in a much more narrow and focused way to appeal to the PI.

In terms of BPD/SIB, not my area. Best bet is to see who is publishing in the area that you are interested in, see where they are employed, and do a little legwork to research those programs. As far as your interest in mood disorders and trauma, you will have to be more specific, as there are many programs that may fit that focus in some capacity. You will have to sell your interests in a much more narrow and focused way to appeal to the PI.
thank you for your advice. I appreciate it. I applied to quite a few PsyD programs and only know of a few that offer funding.

thank you for your advice. I appreciate itI applied to quite a few PsyD programs and only know of a few that offer funding.

thank you for your advice. I appreciate it. I applied to quite a few PsyD programs and only know of a few that offer funding.

That is unfortunately the norm with those programs, rather than the exception. And most of those programs are exorbitantly expensive to the point of limiting your life choices after graduation and/or limiting where you can work to qualify for loan repayment programs, which exist at the whims of Congress.

When I was applying for programs, I went through the faculty page for every APA accredited program to see if there was research fit. This definitely took a while, but was helpful for not feeling like I missed potentially great mentors, especially since there are often multiple ways to approach the same research area. For example, I was interested in the relation between childhood trauma and adolescent delinquency. I ended up applying to trauma-focused labs and delinquency-focused labs and discussing the other as a potential expansion to their current work. This was a helpful approach for me given that many faculty doing research in my area of interest were in other departments (e.g., criminology, social psychology) so going through the literature was less efficient than if I had a more clinically-focused research interest.

If you’re looking at faculty and find more than ~20 who fit your research interests, you’ll likely need to narrow your research interest when you discuss it in person statements to get to the expected level of specificity. Figuring out the balance between too narrow and too broad is a skill in itself, especially since we’re all inherently interested in so many things. For better or worse, the doctorate facilitates becoming an expert in one area, so you have to describe something where you could reasonably accomplish that goal in ~5 years.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello,

Thank you
You should look up the insiders guide to programs in clinical and counseling psychology. It's not perfect but will provide some of the info you want. I used Dazen's approach above, though I skipped reviewing websites in places I didn't want to live (I, too, applied to a widely available topic.)

When I was applying for programs, I went through the faculty page for every APA accredited program to see if there was research fit. This definitely took a while, but was helpful for not feeling like I missed potentially great mentors, especially since there are often multiple ways to approach the same research area.

This is what I did as well. I used the Insider's Guide to identify programs that were funded and were balanced clinical/research model programs, and then checked the website to see which had mentors I could be a research fit with. Took forever. Was worth it

You've made a lot of posts in this forum about what programs to apply to, and I and others have given you advice in those other threads. I know the application process is scary and overwhelming but I'm noticing a lot of anxiety 😅 I answered your question about clinically-aligned PhD programs in the other thread already but you've made another post to ask the same question.

I HIGHLY suggest you get that copy of Insider's Guide because it will answer ALL of these questions - average stats, research focus, clinical/research emphasis, funding, TA-ships, etc. Anxiety and BPD are very very broad topics; when you apply, you will want to get a little more specific than that in order to find a PI match. Do some more thinking to clarify some potential research questions you might want to delve into.

When I was applying for programs, I went through the faculty page for every APA accredited program to see if there was research fit. This definitely took a while, but was helpful for not feeling like I missed potentially great mentors, especially since there are often multiple ways to approach the same research area. For example, I was interested in the relation between childhood trauma and adolescent delinquency. I ended up applying to trauma-focused labs and delinquency-focused labs and discussing the other as a potential expansion to their current work. This was a helpful approach for me given that many faculty doing research in my area of interest were in other departments (e.g., criminology, social psychology) so going through the literature was less efficient than if I had a more clinically-focused research interest.

If you’re looking at faculty and find more than ~20 who fit your research interests, you’ll likely need to narrow your research interest when you discuss it in person statements to get to the expected level of specificity. Figuring out the balance between too narrow and too broad is a skill in itself, especially since we’re all inherently interested in so many things. For better or worse, the doctorate facilitates becoming an expert in one area, so you have to describe something where you could reasonably accomplish that goal in ~5 years.
I've been looking for well-over a year and think I've finally just finalized the school list for applications I'm going to send in December. New assistant professors can really throw a wrench into things as some of them will share your research interests.