Applying to grad school in 2019? look at this list of faculty taking students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Justanothergrad

Counseling Psychologist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a fantastic new resource being developed for students. Each year, faculty post if they are taking students along with some keywords about their area of study/lab. The wiki provides you aspiring psychologists the chance to see who is taking students in a single place (rather than just googling or relying on word of mouth). It includes multiple domains of psychology - clinical/counseling, cognitive, I/O, health, developmental, etc.

This is the first year, but it is starting strong. It made the first rounds on academic twitter only a couple of days ago.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
This is a great idea, and I hope it gets the support it needs, but of course nothing can beat a short, well-crafted email (i.e., not pandering or 4 paragraphs) to PIs to hear directly from the source if they are, are not, or are unsure about taking students. My imagination is that more established, "old-school" PIs will not take the time to do this because they already generate enough interest for dozens of applicants each year.

Reactions: 1 user
That could be a great resource!

Back in my day ( :laugh: ) most labs didn’t have websites and the only resources available (pre-SDN Psych / Grad Cafe) was the Guidebook you could buy at Barnes & Noble that included iffy info bc it took so long to publish. Asking my 55-60+ yr old professors who graduated in the 50s/60s was not very helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a great idea, and I hope it gets the support it needs, but of course nothing can beat a short, well-crafted email (i.e., not pandering or 4 paragraphs) to PIs to hear directly from the source if they are, are not, or are unsure about taking students. My imagination is that more established, "old-school" PIs will not take the time to do this because they already generate enough interest for dozens of applicants each year.

As a faculty member, these emails are kinda frustrating *IF* that information is on the PI's website, for what that's worth. Also, although it would be nice if we actually KNEW if we were definitely taking a student, sometimes that information is not entirely known (e.g., it's funding dependent, which isn't known early in the semester, etc.)

Reactions: 1 users
This is a fantastic new resource being developed for students. Each year, faculty post if they are taking students along with some keywords about their area of study/lab. The wiki provides you aspiring psychologists the chance to see who is taking students in a single place (rather than just googling or relying on word of mouth). It includes multiple domains of psychology - clinical/counseling, cognitive, I/O, health, developmental, etc.

This is the first year, but it is starting strong. It made the first rounds on academic twitter only a couple of days ago.

This is a pretty great resource. However, a lot of my education about the field, programs, and the work that faculty were doing was through my picking around on all the different program sites before applying to graduate school. I found that process immensely helpful. Prepared me well for interviews too.

This is a pretty great resource. However, a lot of my education about the field, programs, and the work that faculty were doing was through my picking around on all the different program sites before applying to graduate school. I found that process immensely helpful. Prepared me well for interviews too.
You have to find out about programs somewhere so you can dig around on the program/PI's websites. A centralized source seems the most useful way to do that to me.

As a faculty member, these emails are kinda frustrating *IF* that information is on the PI's website, for what that's worth. Also, although it would be nice if we actually KNEW if we were definitely taking a student, sometimes that information is not entirely known (e.g., it's funding dependent, which isn't known early in the semester, etc.)

True, true. My mentor and most faculty in my program do post directly on their websites whether they will take a student, will not, or are unsure. That’s the best case scenario, and I know my mentor at least hates emails from people who didn’t even read the website, but she does appreciate emails from folks who have thoughtful, legitimate questions.

I remember not finding this info on most websites, though, and 7/10 PIs I emailed to ask emailed me back. I know basing this on n=1 is bad, but I got interviews at 6/7 of those schools, so I think short emails that are not to answer questions that are already answered can hurt too much. ‍:nod:

You have to find out about programs somewhere so you can dig around on the program/PI's websites. A centralized source seems the most useful way to do that to me.

Oh, I completely agree! I wish I had it. I just meant that I hope applicants still take the time to learn more about the different types of programs and the research being conducted outside of their main interests as I found that really helpful when applying and interviewing.

Reactions: 1 users