Applying to GS and IM programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sislam76

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am an old IMG. I was a surgeon in my home country. I am applying for the 17-18 match. My primary goal is to get a GS position. But after through research could only find 105 GS program ( all over US ) that may give an opportunity to an applicant like me. in most of the cases IMGs pursuing GS position has to do 2 to 3 yrs of Prelim + research to get into a cat. GS program. Because of my age It is not practical for me to wait for 4 years before matching to a categorical program. For back up I would like to apply for less competitive specialties. Is it wise to apply to IM, FM or patho as back up? obviously not 2 specialty in same hospital.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't answer your question about backup specialties but I have a question about the GS prelim's. Where I did my prelim GS year it was not uncommon for the prelim PGY1 and PGY2s to laterally transfer into a categorical spot at another program. I.e. a PGY2 prelim transferred into a PGY3 categorical spot the next year. Granted it was a great program with a very strong PD in the GS world, but it seemed pretty reasonable. Mid-level GS spots open up all the time.

Is that not an option?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,
I am an old IMG. I was a surgeon in my home country. I am applying for the 17-18 match. My primary goal is to get a GS position. But after through research could only find 105 GS program ( all over US ) that may give an opportunity to an applicant like me. in most of the cases IMGs pursuing GS position has to do 2 to 3 yrs of Prelim + research to get into a cat. GS program. Because of my age It is not practical for me to wait for 4 years before matching to a categorical program. For back up I would like to apply for less competitive specialties. Is it wise to apply to IM, FM or patho as back up? obviously not 2 specialty in same hospital.

Applying to a backup residency field is a very reasonable option, as long as you'd be happy doing that. If you love the OR and interacting with patients, you might hate pathology. You're also going to have the problem of convincing people you're really interested in these other fields. If you've worked as a surgeon in your home country and have no US experience in IM or FM, programs might feel you don't know what you're getting into.

I can't answer your question about backup specialties but I have a question about the GS prelim's. Where I did my prelim GS year it was not uncommon for the prelim PGY1 and PGY2s to laterally transfer into a categorical spot at another program. I.e. a PGY2 prelim transferred into a PGY3 categorical spot the next year. Granted it was a great program with a very strong PD in the GS world, but it seemed pretty reasonable. Mid-level GS spots open up all the time.

Is that not an option?

Sometimes. Some Prelim GS residents get categorical spots -- especially if they are coming from competitive programs and if their PD is helping. But this is not universal, and unfortunately this is probably more of the exception rather than the rule (although I have no data to back that up)

Applying to a backup residency field is a very reasonable option, as long as you'd be happy doing that. If you love the OR and interacting with patients, you might hate pathology. You're also going to have the problem of convincing people you're really interested in these other fields. If you've worked as a surgeon in your home country and have no US experience in IM or FM, programs might feel you don't know what you're getting into.
I have one month of US IM experience in the form of observership and currently working as a post doctoral research fellow in NYU general surgery lab. Obviously surgery is what I want to do but with age priority changes.

Is that not an option?
I would gladly take that option if available. May I know which program you are talking about?