applying to GS and plastics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So everyone talks about applying to plastics combined with general as backup. How exactly does this work? My impression is that the GS programs wouldn't be too psyched about hearing that they're your backup. If you only apply to one program at each institution, you'd be severely limiting yourself (especially considering your best bet at getting into a plastics fellowship if you don't get into the combined program is to be at a program with a plastics program -- a lot of the programs seem to have some combined and some fellowship spots).

So, how do you maneuver? Is there any way to convince the GS people that if you get in, you'll stay the 5 years even though you want to do plastics? Anyone out there who think it's a good idea to do 5+2 anyway?

blu

Members don't see this ad.

I would apply to GS programs that have fellowships attached but not combined/integrated programs. If you don't get a combined/integrated spot your best chance of ending up in plastic surgery is from a general surgery program that has an attached fellowship.

GSresident said:
I would apply to GS programs that have fellowships attached but not combined/integrated programs.

That seems to make it almost impossibly difficult to maneuver, since the programs with combined programs are usually also the ones with reputable GS programs that can set you up for fellowships, and a lot of the programs have both (combined and PGY4 positions). For example, Harvard has 3 combined and 2 PGY4 positions.

I'm also a little confused now about the types of programs available. I see combined/integrated, which seems to be similar. Then there are PGY4 positions, and then PGY5 fellowships. So I guess you have 3 chances to get in? How does applying to plastics as a PGY3 work when you fail to get in and have to go back to your program, which now knows you're trying to get out? And can GS PGY5s apply for the PGY4 plastics positions?

So complex ...

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a combined/integrated route where you apply straight out of medical school. The independant/fellowship route is the one where you apply after having training in general surgery, ENT, ortho, neurosurgery and others. You can apply to enter a fellowship with less than 5 years of training but it isn't really realistic any more.

Okay, so I'm supposed to apply to integrated programs, which are very competitive, and at the same time apply to reputable GS programs as backup. How have other people accomplished this in terms of:

1) scheduling rotations
2) not letting GS know (the first few posts in this thread)

If I want to have a shot at a combined program, I really need to do at least 2 aways/auditions. In addition, my school has a plastics fellowship, so I need to do a rotation there. With 2 or 3 plastics rotations, GS programs would have to be blind/dumb to not notice, right? On top of that, I would need to do GS aways/auditions to have a chance at the top GS programs. Plus, all this has to be done before block 5 or so.

A little help? Thanks!
blu