Applying to Hem/Onc fellowships one week after open date (need advice)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

delgoldpackage

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

My girlfriend is freaking out! She is a 2nd year resident who plans on applying for Hem/Onc fellowships. She was really looking forward to applying on the first day (today) however she has to wait a week (next Monday) for a LoR from a renowned Hem/Onc doc in NYC. She did an away elective under him and he is promising her a quality letter. The application window closes Aug. 31. Is applying one week late going to hurt her application in any way?

If you have any insight on this process, please let me know -- she is turning into an emotional demon!

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

My girlfriend is freaking out! She is a 2nd year resident who plans on applying for Hem/Onc fellowships. She was really looking forward to applying on the first day (today) however she has to wait a week (next Monday) for a LoR from a renowned Hem/Onc doc in NYC. She did an away elective under him and he is promising her a quality letter. The application window closes Aug. 31. Is applying one week late going to hurt her application in any way?

If you have any insight on this process, please let me know -- she is turning into an emotional demon!

Thanks in advance
You can add letters after application submission no problem. Just have her submit today, and when the LOR comes in she can add it to her application. The programs will be automatically notified of a new document.

Thank you, I think she's going to do exactly just that. We just hope the programs don't make any type of big decision before the LoR gets there.

My girlfriend is freaking out!
she is turning into an emotional demon!
I find it somewhat interesting that despite the fact that she has already successfully applied to residency, she doesn't know the answer to this question or where to find it but has you finding the answer instead.

Reactions: 1 user
I also find it interesting that she is a PGY-2 resident. If so, she is applying 1 year too early. The fellowship match cycle starting today, with a match date in Dec, is for a fellowship start in July 2015. In general, you should be a PGY-3 when applying.

Edit: Unless "2nd year resident" doesn't include her first year as an intern. Then she would be a PGY-3.