Applying to HKU as an International student for MBBS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoc_96

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently pursuing my A levels in UAE, and would like to apply to HKU for medicine as I've got a few relatives in Hong Kong. I'm an Indian and I've heard HKU prefers taking in applicants who know Cantonese. Although I have no knowledge on Cantonese, I've previously lived in China for 5 years so I can cope with Mandarin almost fluently(this could probably help me convince HKU to take me in as I'd be able to pick up Cantonese pretty quickly.)

Any suggestions on whether I should apply to HKU taking into account my current situation?

Members don't see this ad.

The reason why HKU only accept an extremely small amount of international students is because there is a lack of physicians in HK, if you are not going to plan to practice in HK please do not consider any of the medical school in HK and save the opportunity for the people who want to.

Unless you are top 0.1% of your class and have really outstanding ECs, HKU are very selective because it is one of the top university in Asia. My friend who applied to HKU last year said the interview is conducted in both English and Cantonese ,so be prepared if you are really going to apply.