Applying to just one school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desertscholar

Math Rocks
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I don't begin the arduous application process for another year. But I am wondering how many others are there that have or are planning to apply to just one school, and if they have was their gamble successful. My home state school is a good school, seems to be the most economical choice and is located in a city that has a concentration of jobs in my husbands field. plus it is close to home so that the first year that I am there (if I am accepted) it will be easy to connect with my family. After that year my wonderful spouse will move and follow me.
So how unwise is it to apply to only one med school. I know the application process is highly competitive on the West Coast.
The positive side of doing this is that I can genuinly say they are the school I want to go to.

Members don't see this ad.

u can apply Early Decision to one school, if u dont get in, then u can apply to other schools, only disadvantage is that ur application to the other schools will be late.

If you're only going to apply to one school then try the early decision process.

I hope you have good stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
When applying Early Decision, your application is due earlier than everyone elses, you commit yourself to the one school until they make a decision, which . eh, what the heck, I'm typing this directly from the MSAR 2002-2003, copyright AAMC, yadda yadda yadda:

The Early Decision Program (EDP) provides the well-qualified applicant who has a strong preference for a particular school with the opportunity to secure an acceptance by October 1. By applying as an EDP candidate, the individual agrees not to apply to anyother U.S. medical school (AMCAS or non-AMCAS) until any of the following occurs: (1) receipt of an EDP rejection; (2) receipt of a formal release from the EDP commitment, or (3) the October 1 notification deadline has passed. In addition, the applicant agrees to attend the school if offered an EDP acceptance. Any violation of these conditions will be investigated and, if confirmed, reported to legitimately interested parties.
For the 2000 entering class, 91 medical schools offered admission through EDP. The EDP deadline for the receipt of application materials adn official transcripts for AMCAS-participating schools is August 1. The EDP deadlines for non-AMCAS schools are listed in Chapter 11 (of MSAR). If an EDP applicant is not accepted by the school, the applicant still has sufficient time to apply to other schools.

Hi desertscholar.
Here's my opinion:
Some adm. committees might frown upon those applicants that apply to only one med. school. I guess they feel that these individuals don't really aspire to be doc's since they're not willing to go anywhere else in order to become one.
I would apply to at least a couple of schools - regardless of whether you decide to attend them if accepted - to show ad. com's that you're ready to make sacrifices in your path to an M.D. But that's just my opinion :)

now that i've typed all that, i just looked up Oregon School of Medicine and they do NOT have an Early Decision Program. desertscholar, you CAN only apply to one school, though if you speak to almost anyone on these boards they would not suggest it. before you make your decision, you should HEAVILY research oregon and make sure 1) that it is absolutely the right place for you and 2) you have a he!la good shot at getting in. to start you off, i'm including some stats about OR that have been posted by other SD/\/ers:

Oregon Health Sciece University Admissions
#Applied Interviewed Accepted Enrolled
Total: 2,502 331 180 101
In state: 276 140 82 68
Out of state: 2,226 191 98 33
Women: 1,180 178 115 60
Minorities: 485 61 33 18
International: 0 0 0 0
Acceptance rate: 7.2%

Cum. GPA: 3.61 MCATVR: 9.7 MCATPS: 9.9 MCATBS: 10.3 Acc.Rate: 7.2%

Mr. H. H.,
I hadn't thought about that. That it might not appear that I was serious. Good point.

I know of at least one person who only applied to one school. He did so basically because his wife had a good job where they currently lived, he had family, etc, etc. So it really made sense for him to stay where he was. I believe he only applied to one school the first time, and didn't get in. The second time I think he applied to a small number (<4), was waitlisted at his top choice, and eventually did get in.

My point is that I'm sure there are a number of people who do this every year. I don't see anything wrong with it, but it is a bit risky.

Originally posted by Ryo-Ohki
If you're only going to apply to one school then try the early decision process.

I hope you have good stats.

Even with near perfect stats it is still a risk. The whole application process is a gamble/game. Even if that one school is perfect you should apply to others just in case. It isn't like you have to committ to those other schools, but they are just a backup.

Originally posted by Dr. Hugh Hefner
Hi desertscholar.
Here's my opinion:
Some adm. committees might frown upon those applicants that apply to only one med. school. I guess they feel that these individuals don't really aspire to be doc's since they're not willing to go anywhere else in order to become one.
I would apply to at least a couple of schools - regardless of whether you decide to attend them if accepted - to show ad. com's that you're ready to make sacrifices in your path to an M.D. But that's just my opinion :)

I gotta disgree here with Hef. The adcoms aren't supposed to know anything about how many schools you've applied to. Unless they ask you directly (EVMS asked me during my interview how many I'd applied to), it's none of their beeswax.

Imho, it's insane to only apply to one school. I've applied to 23, and woulda applied to more had I any money left!

pocwana, do you know the link for the post that includes the stats for all the schools, someone listed it here

Originally posted by Dr. Hugh Hefner
Hi desertscholar.
Here's my opinion:
I actually disagree with the opinion that adm. committees frown upon applicants applying to only 1 med school. I applied only to 2 schools (not EDP) - ECU and UNC-CH- and I got into both very early in the process. In interviews for both schools, my interviewers told me that they were honored that I had only applied to a couple schools-- it made me seem more believable when I said I wanted to go there.

Anyway, that's just my experience with two schools. So I dont think it's necessarily a bad thing to apply to one or two schools, as long as you know you really want to go there. Good luck with the process! :)

Desertscholar,

This is really tricky. OHSU is extremely weird about who they interview and accept. You must (I mean must) have hospital experience. Volunteering is fine, but paid is better. You have the non-traditional thing going for you which is an advantage at this particular school. I would honestly not apply to just Oregon. Other schools won't know where else you've applied, so this wouldn't be for them, but only to not waste the year of application. There are several people on this website who are from Oregon and have not yet gotten an interview...more who never got one and were accepted to several other schools.

It's so difficult with a family to commit to the possibility of training in another state, especially because there are so few west coast schools open to non-california residents. It's a reality, though for almost every applicant.

If you really want to go, you probably need to apply to several schools (5-10 at the very least). It's expensive and time consuming but will give you the best shot at getting in.

Your best shot at Oregon will come with hospital experience, non-medical volunteering and above a 3.5 GPA /at least a 30 MCAT. If you end up with less than those numbers you probably need to apply to more than 10 schools.

I wish OHSU did have an EDP, it would probably work well for you.
Since it doesn't, be safe.

manic

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by jms2002
pocwana, do you know the link for the post that includes the stats for all the schools, someone listed it here

sure, jms:
ALL Applied Interviewed Accepted Enrolled STATS , courtesy of brettp11
and you can find a document with the average gpas/mcats for the schools on my website (see link in my sig), created by relatively prime

Originally posted by desertscholar
Mr. H. H.,
I hadn't thought about that. That it might not appear that I was serious. Good point.
Talk to the dean of admissions at Oregon. He'll give you a good idea of what you should do.

Two years ago I called OHSU and had a heart to heart with them. I was upfront about my intent to stay instate and my home situation. THey were very helpful, encouraging, and afforded insight into what would help my particular application. I would STRONGLY advise you to call them and set up an appointment with them or at least a long phone conversation. At the time I called I was told that applying only to OHSU was fine and even to be commended....they thought I had a great chance and favored the single school applicant. Although it may have changed in the last two years, in 2000, 66% of applicants with OSU degrees were admitted to OHSU.

I applied to one school for MD and the same school for MD/PhD.
It worked out very well for me but I was very competitive. I guess it depends on how you feel you will stack up against the other applicants and how confident you are as a person. Good luck !!!!

Just know that it is risky but it's ultimately your decision.

Originally posted by desertscholar
So how unwise is it to apply to only one med school.

Very. Unless you are an absolutely stellar -- no, beyond stellar -- applicant, I would not advise it. This process is very unpredictable and crap-shootish. The best advice is to improve your odds by applying to LOTS of schools. Even with stellar stats, some applicants end up with no acceptances and/or on waitlists. Since you gave no indication of the strength of your application, it's hard to advise you, but unless you have an unbelievably strong app, I would not advise what you are contemplating.

Isn't that kinda like playing poker with a fixed deck and being suprised when you don't win?

In my honest opinion, many people who hear that you only applied to one school will think that you're not serious about a career in medicine.

Thanks for all your advice. I didn't know it was acceptable for me to contact the Dean of admissions. Also I think I will expand my search to a few west coast schools. But still limited. If not accepted I can extend my undergrad by a year. Though this is not the best finicial planning for my family. Sorry it took me a couple of days to get back to you all.
:)

Hef- you are so wrong. Unless you specifically tell the schools which other schools you are applying to (typically a mistake if you do), then they ahve no idea how many schools you applied.

There's nothing wrong with applying to one school, if that's what you really want to do. However, some people jsut need a little talking to about getting up and moving in order for you to persue your dreams.

Hef- you are so wrong. Unless you specifically tell the schools which other schools you are applying to (typically a mistake if you do), then they ahve no idea how many schools you applied.

bah.....I'm sure med. schools have a way of checking up on the # of schools applied to (I know CU does). Perhaps they wouldn't waste time doing this - but why take the risk? Moreover, of the 5 interviews I've had, all of them asked this question or something related to it - maybe coincidental, maybe not. Who knows why they are curious about this - especially when it's none of their business. Anyway, what does it cost onself to play it safe and apply to 1 or a few more schools?....not very much.

Last year I applied to a single school. My reasoning was this: I wanted so much to be at that institution because my family and friends all live there, and it is in the city that I eventually want to practice medicine. I was an August MCAT taker and had difficulty scrounging up recs because I had been out of school for a while, one recommender past away, etc. Add in a little procrastination, and my application was very late.

I felt very strongly that if I did not get in at my school of choice, but did get in at another, I would wait a year to reapply to my first choice under better circumstances. I didn't feel that it reflected negatively on my desire to be a doctor, and in my secondary I tried to explain how my decision reflected my commitment to the given community. I also think this worked well for me in the interview.

Anywho, I interviewed on Feb. 28th, was waitlisted (an unranked list), and never got the happy call. And though I want to be in med school NOW, I don't regret my decision. So, I am now reapplying, but to a greater number of schools.

Point is, if you feel you have a good reason to apply to a single school, and are prepared not to get in (and everyone is right when they say this process is a crapshoot), then do it. But, if you do get your app in early and there is even the slightest chance that you can or will attend another school, then there may be no good reason not to strongly consider a larger number of schools. Good luck either way!