Quitting a volunteer position and starting another one close to your application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RespectTheChemistry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying this coming cycle.

I have a volunteer position I have been at for 4.5 years. There have been some policy changes and I am just not enjoying it like I used to because my patient interactions have gotten a lot more limited there. It's painfully boring organizing and cleaning with little bits of patient interaction mixed in. It used to be all patient interaction.

It's February. Should I hang in there a couple more months or call it a day now?

If I quit, my Thursday nights will be freed up. What if I wanted to replace the time I am spending on this clinical volunteering position with a nonclinical one elsewhere? Would that position started in ~March of my cycle still add something useful to my app?

Members don't see this ad.

With 4.5 years of commitment, it definitely is fine to call it and move on.

From the WAMC you shared a while ago, getting around 50 hours in a new non clinical volunteering activity is unnecessary and wouldn’t add anything.

Reactions: 1 user
With 4.5 years of commitment, it definitely is fine to call it and move on.

From the WAMC you shared a while ago, getting around 50 hours in a new non clinical volunteering activity is unnecessary and wouldn’t add anything.

Thank you!

I am very impressed at your thoroughness. I forgot I even made that WAMC until you brought it up. :)

Have a great day. :)

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
wow 7+ year member and ur just in the application process. u joined sdn around the time u graduated middle school?

kinda boggles my mind tbh o_O

wow 7+ year member and ur just in the application process. u joined sdn around the time u graduated middle school?

kinda boggles my mind tbh o_O

No, I was 19 when I joined SDN.

I just had a lot of personal problems in my early 20s that led to a long gap between thinking about medicine and actually applying. I was going to apply a couple cycles ago, but got cold feet and wanted to spend more time figuring out what I wanted before investing in an application cycle.

Reactions: 1 users