Applying to late??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gutierrez001

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Quick question is applying in Aug. or even late Aug. to late in the application process. I ask becuz i will not take the Mcats till Aug. 20 and I also would like to take two classes summer A to give a last boost to my GPA. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

Quick question is applying in Aug. or even late Aug. to late in the application process. I ask becuz i will not take the Mcats till Aug. 20 and I also would like to take two classes summer A to give a last boost to my GPA. Thanks

Depends on where you apply and your overall stats and competitiveness. The earlier the better, but I would just make sure you had everything else on the AMCAS or AACOMAS system ready so once the MCAT is in you can just send it out. Also, some school will let you fill out the secondary before you send the primary. I would definitely do this before if possible. It'll save even more time. Time is invaluable when applying. Good luck.

P.S. I applied to one school in Dec. and got in so it can be done, just not the best way...or least stressful.

I actually didn't apply until October and still got plenty of interviews. The DO cycle runs later so its not as big of a deal as for MD schools. However, if your application isn't very strong, I'd recommend getting it in sooner. You can still submit your MCAT and update your grades later.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well my application is ok. I have plenty of work experince(3yrs in the ER) and a great DO LOR(he teachs at the school Im applying to). But my grade are on the lower part( but i go to a pretty good school) and i wont know my Mcat score unitl probably early oct. . I just hope appyling in Aug. wont affect me too much.

I actually didn't apply until October and still got plenty of interviews. The DO cycle runs later so its not as big of a deal as for MD schools. However, if your application isn't very strong, I'd recommend getting it in sooner. You can still submit your MCAT and update your grades later.

Wrong. Many MD schools are still interviewing.

Several DO schools are not...

true, but there is alot more MD schools than DO schools

dont delay your application. Send it in by June unless you are still taking a lot of classes. You can always update your application. DO NOT wait until your MCAT score is in. I did that this past year and it killed me.

I definitely recommend going ahead and getting as much done in AACOMAS as possible, putting in all your classes can be pain and takes some time.

If you think that's late just don't follow my lead.....long story, but due to a bunch of other factors I didn't apply until end of February. :oops:

well, wat if my GPA is low. should i wait till i get my grades in?

Do you have at least an idea of what your current GPA is?

It all depends and it's pretty subjective. Having specific grades/scores for one person may not work for another person, which is why it's risky to just apply at one place.....UNLESS you truly do not want to go anywhere else.

I'm assuming by waiting you're talking about waiting until you finish and get grades from the summer classes you're going to take. Depending on your current GPA and the amount of credit hours you currently have just those two classes may not have a large impact on your GPA. I came back from a low GPA my first two years in college, but it took quite a while to "undo" the damage and raise my GPA enough to be competitive, longer than it took for me to kill it at first!

Does your school have a pre-med/pre-health advisor? Really sounds like you need to sit down with him/her and sort through some of these questions.

Wrong. Many MD schools are still interviewing.

Several DO schools are not...

Interviewing, sure, but application deadlines are another story:

MD primary: October-December
http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/deadlines.htm

DO primary: February-April (except five schools which are Dec-Jan)
http://aacom.org/colleges/deadlines.asp

Hence, why I saw our cycle runs later.

Once MD schools get apps in they tend to keep students hanging longer than DO schools, but if you submit your primary to MD schools in September you'll get less consideration for secondaries and interviews.