Applying to med school at same time as post-bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paintbucketgreen

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 4th year Human bio major at UCI, graduating June 2018 with a 3.4 cGPA and 3.4 sGPA. I plan to take two gap years (would have taken one but I'm already a senior and not ready to apply this June). As of now, I kind of screwed up and missed a lot of the fall deadlines for many California academic enhancer post-bacc programs. I will be applying to med schools in June 2019.

~ My question is: Would I be at a disadvantage if I started my post-bacc in Fall 2019, while having applied to med school in the June 2019 cycle? (I would send in my med school apps before the post-bacc started, granted I get accepted). Is this a risky choice? I have heard some schools would hold my application on a waiting list and wait for grade updates, but I have also heard some schools would reject? Or does it not really matter too much as long as the rest of my app is solid? GPA is my weakest point

So basically my first gap year would be focused on working in a hospital, shadowing, getting more clinical experience/possibly clinical research, etc while my second gap year would be a post-bacc.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: