Applying to Med School but not with financial aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr OCD

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I overheard some pre-meds in the library today saying that if you dont apply for financial aid you have a better chance of getting in...is this true???

Members don't see this ad.

"That's a complete falsehood" - Michael Corleone in The Godfather II

I'm suspicious of applications like Stony Brook that ask if you are planning on filing for financial aid, and what debt you already have from your undergrad...

Members don't see this ad :)
I overheard some pre-meds in the library today saying that if you dont apply for financial aid you have a better chance of getting in...is this true???

I'm fairly certain that med schools are need-blind. Plus, I'm pretty sure that, for the most part, the decision on your app is made before you apply for financial aid, so they couldn't consider it even if they wanted to. Why would a school care if you pay them with federal loans vs. out of pocket anyway?

FYI, most schools don't ask you to submit any additional financial aid information, until you've been accepted already. So yeah, with regard to the majority of med schools being accepted precedes filing your financial aid, deadlines vary by state, but you don't file your FAFSA until at least March 1st.

...I'm pretty sure that, for the most part, the decision on your app is made before you apply for financial aid...

FYI, most schools don't ask you to submit any additional financial aid information, until you've been accepted already.

But consider the fact that some schools ask for financial info on their secondary.

Example: Stony Brook. Question 6 on 2007 secondary: "Amount of all educational loans currently outstanding?"

I call that suspicious...

The school generally doesn't care who pays your tuition -- you, your parents, or your lender. I wasn't asked anything about my financial situation or if I planned on using financial aid at any school until after I was accepted.

But consider the fact that some schools ask for financial info on their secondary.

Example: Stony Brook. Question 6 on 2007 secondary: "Amount of all educational loans currently outstanding?"

I got into Stony Brook after checking the financial aid box and letting them know that I had educational loans outstanding. Maybe if you have 100k in loans or something it's an issue, but otherwise I don't think it matters too much. Every school can see how you paid for college based on your AMCAS, so they know if you're going to be a need-based applicant (assuming your status hasn't changed) from the get go anyway.

You've got a point. Stony Brook is not the only school that does that, I can think of at least one other school that asked that question. And, yes it is suspect. But the majority of schools could careless how you pay for school as long as you do. If you can't pay, schools like Georgetown specifically state that they'll rescind your acceptance!!!!

So I really doubt that the majority of med schools would use your financial aid status to determine whether they accept you or not.

Something to consider: fee waivers for secondary apps would clue them in on your financial situation. Whether that affects their decision, I don't know.

UCLA had multiple questions pertaining to undergrad debt and projected post-med school debt...

If they use your debt level against you, I'm thinking that it counts as discrimination. It could be, however, that they are looking for a way to see if you are a disadvantaged student without you having to come out and say it. Just a thought.

200% false. Med schools get their money regardless of whether you use loans or whether your wealthy parents pay out of their pockets. It doesn't positively affect your acceptance.