Applying to med school but retaking mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kahna26

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I wanted to know all of your thoughts on my specific situation. I took the mcat two years ago and did terrible (below 500). I am retaking my mcat at the end of June. Everyone always says to submit med school primary applications early. So, should I submit mine now or should I wait because I don't want them to only have my low mcat score to go off of. My gpa is a 3.5 so I don't think that is high enough to just go off of that.

I believe because of Coronavirus they are releasing scores to schools in 2 weeks rather than 4. They also moved data transmission to medical schools to July 10. So, maybe I should just submit now because they would be getting my score July 12, only a few days later.

Anyway, that is a lot of info sorry, but any advice or opinions would be great! Please help me out!!

Members don't see this ad.

Submit to one throwaway school so you can get your app verified. Add more once you get your score back. Schools aren’t required to wait for scores so if you submit it all now, you might get screened out based on your old score.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone. I wanted to know all of your thoughts on my specific situation. I took the mcat two years ago and did terrible (below 500). I am retaking my mcat at the end of June. Everyone always says to submit med school primary applications early. So, should I submit mine now or should I wait because I don't want them to only have my low mcat score to go off of. My gpa is a 3.5 so I don't think that is high enough to just go off of that.

I believe because of Coronavirus they are releasing scores to schools in 2 weeks rather than 4. They also moved data transmission to medical schools to July 10. So, maybe I should just submit now because they would be getting my score July 12, only a few days later.

Anyway, that is a lot of info sorry, but any advice or opinions would be great! Please help me out!!
How are you doing on practice exams?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Don’t take the test if you don’t feel prepared. Otherwise, just get your AAMC applications processed for once school and enter other schools as soon as your score is available.

Members don't see this ad :)
I asked this same question to my pre-health advisor and she said that an old MCAT score will NOT be used to screen you out if you list on your AMCAS that you have a future MCAT date. If you have a future MCAT date listed in your app, the schools will mark your app as not complete until they receive your new score. So if you are confident you'll nail your new MCAT, go ahead and submit and do not be worried about them screening you out

I asked this same question to my pre-health advisor and she said that an old MCAT score will NOT be used to screen you out if you list on your AMCAS that you have a future MCAT date. If you have a future MCAT date listed in your app, the schools will mark your app as not complete until they receive your new score. So if you are confident you'll nail your new MCAT, go ahead and submit and do not be worried about them screening you out
Wow thanks, I graduated already from undergrad so don't have access to a pre-health advisor anymore. So this gives some more clarity. Thank you!

I’m not completely sure your advisor can make this claim about the practices of 150+ medical schools...

Schools are under no obligation to wait for the new mcat