Applying to med school MD/PhD with a B.S/M.S in neuroscience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which Schedule version do you like the best?

• A, B.S. in Neuroscience and Biology, Minor in Russian

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • B, B.S./M.S in Neuroscience, B.S. in Biology, Minor in Russian

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • C, B.S./M.S. in Neuroscience and B.S. in Biology

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

glass_of_nostalgia_

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

At my college I have the option of completing a dual B.S./M.S. in neuroscience in the same 4-year time span. I love research and want to apply MD/PhD in two years (I'm a rising junior), so I thought maybe the B.S./M.S. would make me stand out. Also, I thought that in the worse case scenario, if I don't get accepted to any med school, than the masters credits could transfer over into graduate school and I would complete my PhD and then apply again for the MD. However, I am torn because it would give me a pretty bland schedule with no "fun classes." My fun class is usually a Russian class - and I have taken a class with the same professor since freshman year since I enjoy it so much, and would end up having a Russian minor by senior year. II have three different schedule versions and I was wondering which one would make me best stand out but also be practical? I am planning to take the MCAT my senior year. Thank you in advance!

Schedule A: B.S. in Neuroscience and Biology, Minor in Russian
- PROS: 1. Relatively light junior course load as well as light senior course load
2. Lots of research in a lab during the academic year a
3. Have time to TA
4. Senior Honor's thesis is possibly

- CONS: 1. No M.S. degree

Schedule B: B.S./M.S in Neuroscience, B.S. in Biology, Minor in Russian
- PROS: 1. Write a senior honors/masters thesis during senior year
2. Relatively light course load during senior year
3. Finish with a masters

- CONS: 1. Less research hours during junior year than in schedule A
2. Heavy course load junior year
3. No time to TA

Schedule C: B.S./M.S. in Neuroscience and B.S. in Biology (No Russian Minor)

PROS: 1. Write a senior honors/masters thesis
2. Relatively light course load during junior year + senior year
3. Have time to TA
4. Have time to do research
5. Finish with a masters

CONS: 1. Very bland schedule - all biology classes (I love bio but still)
2. No Russian classes
3. No Russian minor

Members don't see this ad.

The degree and minor doesn't matter. For MD/PhD you will need a stellar GPA and MCAT, so take the classes that will give you the best shot at that. You'll also need good, sustained research. As a rising junior, I would focus on this. If you feel like you're lacking in research or grades, do a masters after you graduate.

Reactions: 1 user
For MD/PhD, what you major in and having a hardcore research masters may be more of a plus than it would in a regular MD program as you must show the PhD side of admissions strong , indepth background in the sciences, excellent GPA and MCAT, and, above all, productive research with independent/new work being most sought after ... Be clear as to why
Agree with this.

For MD/PhD, what you major in and having a hardcore research masters may be more of a plus than it would in a regular MD program as you must show the PhD side of admissions strong , indepth background in the sciences, excellent GPA and MCAT, and, above all, productive research with independent/new work being most sought after.

Having said all that, I always ask everyone who looks at this path WHY? It will add 3-4 years to your training, years that you could be earning a physician salary and not working on stipend. So those who look at this route as having no debt, are misleading themselves in the end as what you save in free schooling you lose in earning potential. It also it is not needed for doing hardcore research in medicine, being full-time faculty in medical school, or even becoming leadership in schools or other medical organization. Be clear as to why

Hi gonnif - thanks for your quick reply! My college allows me to do the MS at the same time as the BS, so there would be no extra cost involved -- I would just get it when I graduate in 2 years. However, I think I'm just going to do the double-major