Question about applying to both MD and MD/PhD at same school in TX

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

galaxypegasusw105r2f

Reaction score
Hi and thanks in advance for any info on this subject!

I am looking to apply to both MD and MD/PhD programs. For reference, I'm a TX resident. It seems like it's possible to apply to both the MD and MD/PhD programs of various schools in Texas. For instance, one could apply to UTSW's MD program through TMDSAS and simultaneously apply to the MD/PhD program through AMCAS. While this is possible, would it be looked down up by program directors (I've heard mixed things about this)? Also, would the respective program directors of each program even know if you applied to the other? In my eyes, I want to obtain an MD at a min and MD/PhD at a max, and am not sure I have the research to get MD/PhD acceptances (no pubs). I'm also aware I could apply MD only and try to transfer into MD/PhD programs. Does anyone have any insight/have done this before with success or failure?

Thanks again and I appreciate any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi and thanks in advance for any info on this subject!

I am looking to apply to both MD and MD/PhD programs. For reference, I'm a TX resident. It seems like it's possible to apply to both the MD and MD/PhD programs of various schools in Texas. For instance, one could apply to UTSW's MD program through TMDSAS and simultaneously apply to the MD/PhD program through AMCAS. While this is possible, would it be looked down up by program directors (I've heard mixed things about this)? Also, would the respective program directors of each program even know if you applied to the other? In my eyes, I want to obtain an MD at a min and MD/PhD at a max, and am not sure I have the research to get MD/PhD acceptances (no pubs). I'm also aware I could apply MD only and try to transfer into MD/PhD programs. Does anyone have any insight/have done this before with success or failure?

Thanks again and I appreciate any help!
Look into whether MD/PhD candidates who are not accepted get automatically considered for MD-only at UTSW

Reactions: 1 users
For instance, one could apply to UTSW's MD program through TMDSAS and simultaneously apply to the MD/PhD program through AMCAS. While this is possible, would it be looked down up by program directors (I've heard mixed things about this)? Also, would the respective program directors of each program even know if you applied to the other? In my eyes, I want to obtain an MD at a min and MD/PhD at a max, and am not sure I have the research to get MD/PhD acceptances (no pubs).
You should ask the Research Scientists forum where the MSTP folks hang out.