applying to medical and vet school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Modizzle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I applied to veterinary and medical school this year (please don't flame me). Now I am really worried because I was reading a post here that said that schools know if you apply to both. How do they find out? Do they know even if you didn't apply to med and vet school at the same university?

I guess I had better stop working on my dental school application.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I applied to veterinary and medical school this year (please don't flame me). Now I am really worried because I was reading a post here that said that schools know if you apply to both. How do they find out? Do they know even if you didn't apply to med and vet school at the same university?

I guess I had better stop working on my dental school application.

Thanks

Some people on here are hypersensitive towards anyone who might consider doing anything else besides vet med. You might want to come up with a good explanation as to why you are considering all three options and why vet school is an option. I know several MD PhD DVMs and MD DVMs at the medical center where I am finishing grad school, so there is no reason you can't be interested in more than one branch of medicine. Really, animal and human health should be intertwined anyways. You should, however, have the experiences that back up your interest in vet med.

Hi BobDog,

Thanks for the reply and the good advice. I was actually kidding about the dentistry part, by the way.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I understand, a lot more experience in the field is required for vet school. Someone can get into med school having worked for a summer in a research lab and volunteered 100 hours a hospital, but for vet school, you'll be up against people with 1000+ hours of experience.

And as BobDog said, you'll need to be clear in your interview why you applied to both and what your intentions are if you get into your number 1 schools for each.

I have no way to back this up, but it seems really unlikely to me that AMCAS and VMCAS communicate about who applies... I mean, given how bad the VMCAS web site is, it seems like they're full of their own problems! I can't believe that they'd have the organization or technology to really compare applicant pools!

That said, I would NOT apply to DVM and MD at the same institution. That seems too close to comfort. And the whole thing's gonna get really expensive (and really time-consuming!) really fast...

To be honest, I wouldn't worry about it too much, especially if you are able to explain why in an interview (i.e. med-school was a back-up, etc). I think a lot of schools realize that people apply to other programs as a backup in case they don't get in, and it is surprisingly common for pre-vets to apply to med school (esp. if they don't get into vet school). I guess pediatrics is a common field for pre-vets to go into if they don't get into vet school. (Seems kinda funny: the whole, you can't operate on my dog, but have a whack at my kid!!)

I was talking to my friends and I was like "Well if I don't get into vet school maybe I'll try for med school..." Joking! (We're in High School). They didn't know that vet school has less schools so it's supposedly harder to get in so it got dead quiet and awkward. Then one friend said "... Don't you mean if I don't get into med school, maybe I'll try for vet school?" I said "no." And they say "Crazy bird lady!" =P

I have no idea, I just thought that may make you laugh! =P