Applying to medical school 2 years before starting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foxi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan to apply to medical school this summer (2016)..

I know that general protocol is to apply for the following year.. But I hope to take a year off AFTER I get my acceptance - is there any way that I could apply for two years into the future, or is that not an option?

Members don't see this ad.

This sounds like a bad, poorly researched plan.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I know that general protocol is to apply for the following year.. But I hope to take a year off AFTER I get my acceptance - is there any way that I could apply for two years into the future, or is that not an option?

Why not take a gap year and then apply? Regardless, some schools are okay with deferrals, while many are not. It's purely school-specific and its hard to say until you actually get accepted

Reactions: 1 user
Don't do it.

What are your reasons for considering this? And what do you plan to do with the extra year.

In a nutshell, if your gap year makes you a stronger candidate, applying a year later would be smarter than applying a year sooner. And if your gap year plans add nothing to your application, maybe it's not the best way to spend your time.

Reactions: 1 users
In theory it could work if you got accepted to the right school, but deferals are not intended to be used in that manner. Not kosher.

This is why I try to not stray from the NonTrad board.

Put yourself in a med school's shoes. Would you be interested in waiting two years for a student to take a seat in the medical class? The only way you would be okay with this (as a med school) is if you knew the payoff was worth the wait, e.g., Fulbright, truman, marshall, and Rhodes, programs that past presidents, renowned scientists and physicians, etc. have received.
So the question is: are you (the applicant) worth the 2-year wait? just leave the hypothetical at what it's worth and spend your time and effort being that high quality of a student...

Everyone is so mad lol

Just apply and-- once you get in, NOT BEFORE-- ask for a deferral from the school. If you have a good enough plan you'll get it!

Everyone is so mad lol

Just apply and-- once you get in, NOT BEFORE-- ask for a deferral from the school. If you have a good enough plan you'll get it!

Not for all schools.

Aren't deferrals strictly for extenuating circumstances? Like a debilitating illness, family member on their deathbed, you hit your head and get amnesia kind of things..

Aren't deferrals strictly for extenuating circumstances? Like a debilitating illness, family member on their deathbed, you hit your head and get amnesia kind of things..
Some schools are more liberal in granting them than others, and there are schools that don't even offer them.