Applying to Medical school> June?July?August?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovedocta07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, im planin on retaking my MCAt mid july and was wondering if it was worth applying to medschool when scores come out in august...would this be too late? plus i didnt really bad on the march mcat (22: 10p-6v-6b) thnk you.

mcat average (29-30 aamcs)

Members don't see this ad.

i'm on the same boat as you. my retake is scheduled for July 29th. i feel so lost right now. back to studying of course, but definitely considering a year off. there really aren't any cons to waiting for the next cycle. it's no rush! i've had my mind so set on going straight into med school for so long that it's hard to adjust to the idea of taking a year off.

Try to move it up to earlier in July, and send in your primary application around the time you take the test, so it'll be verified and you'll have the secondaries ready to go by the time you get your score back in early-mid August. It won't hurt your chances sending in secondaries in August, just makes for a bit of a longer wait in some cases.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say it depends on your finances. If you can afford to apply this year, might as well throw your hat in the ring and see what happens. If not, you might be better off just focusing on studying for your MCAT rather than dealing with the personal statement and all that, take a year off to make your ECs that much stronger, and be ready to go on June 1 next year.

I'd say it depends on your finances. If you can afford to apply this year, might as well throw your hat in the ring and see what happens. If not, you might be better off just focusing on studying for your MCAT rather than dealing with the personal statement and all that, take a year off to make your ECs that much stronger, and be ready to go on June 1 next year.

:thumbup:

If you decide to follow GoSpursGo's advice and your ECs are already strong, then definitely time the submission of your Primary so it will be verified by the time you get the score back (6 weeks should do it), but only list one school initially so the verification will proceed.

While you are waiting for the score and verification, you can prewrite your Secondary essays from prompts you'll find here on SDN.

Then when the score comes back, add additional schools depending on how competitive the score is (or not), and all the new schools will get the entire application within a day. When you get the formal invitation to submit the Secondary, your turn-around time can be a few days, and you could be complete at all your schools by end of August/early September, thus minimizing the impact of a late-ish MCAT retake.

i'm going to go ahead and say don't apply this year. it doesn't sound like your stats will catapult you into "superstar" status, so you'll need the extra boost of applying early. if you plan to apply on day 1 next cycle, you'll have all the time you need to improve your MCAT as well as a full year to work on the other parts of your applications. JMO.