Applying to Medical School with a Master's Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neolium

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in going to medical school. I am also interested in gettin a master's degree. Do you guys have any suggestions as to what I should study? I am interested in public health. How those with an advance degree (like an MPH) fair in the applicant pool for medical school??

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, let me ask what your reason is for going to grad school. Are you interested in the degree for an MPH, or do you need a little more work to prove your "worthiness" to be accpeted to medical school?
I my opinion, a lot of people take the MPH road just because they've heard that that is the way to go if you intend to apply to medical school; I almost did it. If you really want or need grad school I think it would be in your best interests to take classes that you are interested in (not because it is popular). You'll have an easier time studying something you like as opposed to something you are disinterested in. Plus, it will be genuine when you explain that to the acceptance committee during interviews.
In my case, I didn't do so hot in undergrad and decided to go to grad school for my Master's in Biomedical Sciences. The classes are mirror images of the clinical-based medical school, taught by several of the same professors who teach at the medical school (i.e. Histology, Biochem, Physiology...)
In addition, it was said that ~80% of the people who graduate with the the MBMS degree get interviews.
So, just do your research and figure out what is in your best interests. Don't give up.

I have my MPH and I am applying to medical school this year. Really, it is your own decision to make. There can be pros and cons to both options. I knew since HS that I wanted to go to medical school; however, I wasn't ready for it so I opted to get my Masters instead. I think it was the right decision for me because everything seems to be falling into place. I'm ready for medical school now and I'm looking forward to starting next year. I couldn't say that my senior year of college. The only downfall to my situation is that I have to pay back my graduate degree, so my debt is going to be outrageous when it is all said and done. At least I have no regrets to my entire path to medicine. Good luck with the decision you make, but know that you have to be happy with it. If it feels right then you are on the right path.