PrivateGlass
New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,
I'm currently a PhD student in the United States doing biomedical research, and I hope to apply to US medical schools within the next couple of years.
Most of my academic and professional experience has been in the US, I also have a masters degree in biomedical engineering from a US university. In total, I've been involved in research in the United States for the past 8 years. In addition, I currently volunteer at 2 hospitals and participate in non-clinical volunteer too. I also plan to get physician shadowing experience before applying.
My biggest concern is meeting the prerequisite coursework requirements.
I earned my bachelors in chemistry in my home country, where I did courses such as general chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, psychology and sociology. During my masters and PhD in the US, I did grad-level coursework in cell biology, genetics, and math (total amount of US credits between masters and PhD is 51)
Are there any US MD or DO programs that may consider applicants with a background similar to mine and accept prerequisite courses completed outside the United States when combined with substantial US graduate coursework?
Ideally, I would prefer not to repeat chem and physics courses because I'm tight on money.
I would greatly appreciate any advice or insights from those who have gone through a similar process. Or any advice at all.
Also, I have an immigration petition pending, but no green card yet.
Thank you!
I'm currently a PhD student in the United States doing biomedical research, and I hope to apply to US medical schools within the next couple of years.
Most of my academic and professional experience has been in the US, I also have a masters degree in biomedical engineering from a US university. In total, I've been involved in research in the United States for the past 8 years. In addition, I currently volunteer at 2 hospitals and participate in non-clinical volunteer too. I also plan to get physician shadowing experience before applying.
My biggest concern is meeting the prerequisite coursework requirements.
I earned my bachelors in chemistry in my home country, where I did courses such as general chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, psychology and sociology. During my masters and PhD in the US, I did grad-level coursework in cell biology, genetics, and math (total amount of US credits between masters and PhD is 51)
Are there any US MD or DO programs that may consider applicants with a background similar to mine and accept prerequisite courses completed outside the United States when combined with substantial US graduate coursework?
Ideally, I would prefer not to repeat chem and physics courses because I'm tight on money.
I would greatly appreciate any advice or insights from those who have gone through a similar process. Or any advice at all.
Also, I have an immigration petition pending, but no green card yet.
Thank you!