Applying to multiple post-doc positions at same hospital?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

modestmousktr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks!

There are a few sites that I am interested in that have more than one post-doc fellowship I am excited about.

For example, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia has positions in both The Child and Adolescent Mood Program (CHAMP) fellowship and School- and Community-Based Interventions for Aggression and Bullying Among Urban Youth. I'm interested in adverse experiences in youth from marginalized backgrounds (including relational aggression, peer victimization, bullying, etc) and their subsequent consequences (like mood disorders). I would love to apply for both, but is that frowned upon?

There are a few other sites that have 2-3 positions that I am interested in.

Thanks for the guidance. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Howdy folks! Bumping this again because I have this question again, haha. Is it normal to apply to multiple post-doctoral positions within the same institution, if they are both a strong fit for training goals?

For example, at McLean ten post-doctoral fellowships are offered. The Post-Doctoral Fellowship in Child/Adolescent Clinical Psychology and Beckwitt-Hughey Post-Doctoral Fellowship in Adolescent Clinical Psychology are both accepting applications, one due in November and the other in December. Both fellowships would incorporate DBT with adolescents, one in a PHP/outpt setting and the other in an inpatient setting focused on clients specifically with emerging BPD. It seems unlike "tracks" for internship, in that the cover letters and inquiries are addressed to different people.

Is it unheard of to apply to both positions? Or should I choose the one I am most interested in?

Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm only able to speak to my site, but applying to multiple fellowships within our institution is encouraged as long as the applicant is able to provide a compelling rationale for training fit and career goals.

Reactions: 1 users

Thanks for the recommendation! I am creating my post-doc spreadsheet, and it's super appreciated. I've found a program at Stanford and a program at St. Luke's with adolescent DBT training, and am searching for more. Is VCU Virginia Commonwealth? I am unable to find info on their post-docs, if you could link it, that would be super appreciated.

I'm only able to speak to my site, but applying to multiple fellowships within our institution is encouraged as long as the applicant is able to provide a compelling rationale for training fit and career goals.

Oh wonderful! I'm glad to have a little perspective, even if it's just n=1. Thanks!!

Not unusual. As long as you can make a compelling argument for both, would not be unexpected, especially if there is considerable overlap. I applied for multiple postdocs and they ended up merging 2 of them together so I got the best of both worlds :)

Reactions: 1 user
I'd also say it is 100% normal. Unless there are overlapping investigators, chances are reasonable no one will even know you applied to both, let alone care one way or another that you did. Obviously its important to have a better reason for doing so then "I really want to live in this area" but I'd say that is really the only time it is a concern.

I think virtually everyone I know who interned at a major AMC applied for multiple post-docs within the same system (aside from those intending to leave, obviously). As long as you aren't coming across as unfocused and just applying for anything (certainly doesn't seem to be the case here), its fine.

I applied for multiple positions at the same sites, got interviews for multiple positions at the same sites, and got offers from two positions at the same site. As long as it's a good fit, there's nothing wrong with it.

Similar responses to above, I applied to two post-docs that were based in the same hospital (and my interviews involved overlapping faculty) as both positions were applicable to my training goals.

Awesome! Thanks so much everyone. I'm interested in childhood trauma and its repercussions throughout childhood and adolescence, so a lot of the hospitals I'm applying to seem to have 2 positions I fit as a result, since that's a fairly broad population. I'm so glad to hear it's typical. :)