Applying to NC schools for an out-of-stater?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

banannie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not from NC, but I'd really like to live there. I feel like there's only a very, very slim chance that I'd get into Duke. So I was wondering if anyone knew anything about

1) Applying to UNC out of state? I realize they use the AMCAS for a preliminary screening, so does that mean that if I have no shot, they'd tell me, and I'd have only lost $30?

2) Wake Forest? I feel like I know nothing about this school . . . is it conservative or liberal? What's the surrounding area like?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know much about the other schools, but I did apply to UNC-CH. I'm a CA resident and was given a secondary (which guarantees you an interview). So, unlike most schools, you actually don't spend any $$$ on them (except for the AMCAS fee) unless you are offered and decide to go on the interview. :)
very nice of them...

banannie - here are the US News statistics for UNC 2001 admissions: 3,024 applied total, 538 interviewed, 208 accepted, 160 enrolled. In-state: 744 applied, 435 interviewed, 170 accepted, 143 enrolled. Out-of-state: 2,280 applied, 103 interviewed, 38 accepted, 17 enrolled. Average GPA 3.64, Overall MCAT composite: 10.4 - I think to be competitive out-of-state, you would need higher numbers than those. Good luck!!!