applying to # of MD schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you for the pointer. I decided to get the EK package as a Christmas gift to myself because it was recommended by several friends of mine, and they just recently completed some prerequisites.
The bolded is the key: EK may be good enough for people who recently completed prereqs. Though even then you'll need some decent practice materials which EK doesn't offer.
I have never heard of TPRH though, but I will go ahead and order it as well, it'll be the 2014 New Year gift to myself :clap:.
I'd never heard of TPRH... or TBR... or lots of other extremely useful things before I came to SDN. Seriously, this place is a trove of useful information. And I enthusiastically endorse your New Year's gift to self ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Sample size n=1, but I was 2 years out of undergrad (and 5-6 years out of my BCPM courses) and I used the TBR books, Nova Physics and AAMC material to get a balanced 37. It probably cost me $500 at most and I did not have to retake the MCAT either. A prep course costs >$1000.

Again, sample size n=1, but some further perspective on OOS schools:
I applied to 24 schools, 4 in-state (I'm a CA resident so I skipped the top-tier public schools since I wouldn't get in), 6 OOS and 14 private.
The results so far:
In-state 1 interview (waitlisted), 1 pre-interview hold
OOS 3 interviews (1 acceptance, 1 pending, 1 declined by me), 1 pre-interview hold
Private 7 interviews (1 acceptance, 1 waitlist, 3 declined by me, 2 pending), 2 pre-interview rejections, 1 pre-interview hold

The OOS/private rate of interview are about the same and exceed that of in-state!