Applying to OMFS as a fairly recent grad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texasisking

Reaction score
Hello, new to SDN. I'm a little more than 2 years out of dental school and considering going back and pursuing OMFS. It's difficult getting good information about residency when in private practice so I figured I'd start here. I graduated in 2017 top 10 in my class (3.9+ GPA) and was awarded OKU honors/research awards (non-OMFS), scholarships and general extracurriculars, etc. I have not done any OS externships yet and have not taken the cbse (which obviously must happen). Given my performance in dental school, what cbse score should I shoot for (considering only 4 yr os programs) and how many externships are generally required to be competitive? Finding time to do multiple externships will be difficult as a full time general dentist. Any help/guidance will be appreciate.

Members don't see this ad.

Doing externships is not going to be too feasible for you since you’re not a student. The main thing is you do well on your CBSE. Your GPA is good and your CBSE cutoff should be 65 (higher the better). Once you get your score apply everywhere, you should be fine.

Honestly you should be more worried about LORs. Most programs do not care about letters not from OMFS, especially academic OMFS.

Reactions: 1 user