Applying to optometry school without a bachelors degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CrypticMind

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have about a 3.8 GPA currently and I am taking the OAT in Decmember. I was involved in a research internship at the a natural history museum. I volunteer there now when I have time. I was also a Peer Leader for General Chemistry I and II. And I will be job shadowing starting next week. I want to job shadow about 50 hours. I also participated in two research symposiums.

I am applying for optometry school for Fall of 2011, but I will be applying with no bachelors. I am a junior so I want to try to get in without a bachelors. Do you guys think it is possible for me to get in without a bachelors? I know my chances are slim. But do yo guys think I have a chance?

Also, how many hours do you guys think I should job shadow an optometrist before I ask them for a letter of reccomendation? And how many hours in general should I job shadow?

And one more question. I want to send in my OptomCAS application mid December. Is that too late?

Thanks. Any opinions help.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a first year at PUCO, and I got in through the Jr year option. There are 7 out of 91 in my class who got in on this route, so while it is more challenging, if your GPA is 3.8, that is a great start. My classes avg GPA was 3.4, I myself had 3.9 and I got a 370 on the OAT with a 400 TS. I would absolutely encourage you to apply this year, see about getting your application in the earliest you can, I can't speak for other schools, but PUCO runs on a sliding scale where it gets progressively harder to get in the later you are in the admissions cycle.