Applying to Optometry Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JAB1215

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on applying to optometry schools next year & have been doing a lot of shadowing this summer. By the end of the summer i will have about 100 hours of shadowing in different optometry settings (private practice in a pediatric ophthalmology office, more commercial in a metro optics - similar to a Lenscrafters, & i shadowed at SUNY - shadowed the interns there - for more of an academic setting). I'm also volunteering at a hospital this summer, to gain more patient communication skills. So, I was wondering if all of this is enough summer extracurriculars to get into optometry school? I'm not a big fan of lab work so I haven't really done any types of research or lab work. I've really enjoyed shadowing & feel like i've seen a lot of different cases, a lot of which i think i could use during an interview or personal statement. However, this is the first summer that i've really done anything like this; I've never had a job in an optometry setting or anything before. I am entering my junior year of college, so I can also do some more things next summer, although that's when I'll be applying to optometry school.

Also, I've been thinking of who to ask for letters of recommendation. I was thinking of asking one of my biology teachers (who I've had for cell biology, genetics lecture & lab, & biochemistry), my optometrist who I've been shadowing at the pediatric ophthalmology office, & my superior at the hospital where i've been volunteering. I was wondering if this sounds good, & wanted to know anyone else's experiences about LOR or just applying to optometry schools in general! thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

All of your shadowing sounds great. The more the better! Your letters sound solid as well, make sure they know who you are. Good luck