Applying to PA school! Help please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jcorpsmanMD

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone & thank you in advance.

I am posting for my girlfriend, regarding her competitiveness in applying. Her application is submitted but she's having some doubts so she's considering applying to more schools, so I was hoping you all could help! Here we go:

-Graduated December 2015 w/ B.S. Psychology
- 3.39 cGPA 3.51 sGPA
-attended CC after graduation, 4.0 in all prereqs (taking Biochemistry & Organic Chemistry II this Fall)
-GRE: 152 verbal, 156 math, 3.5 writing
-800+ hours volunteering throughout undergrad (some leadership positions in Nursing student organizations)
-2000+ hours working as a medical scribe (w/ a Hispanic doctor that sees a majority of Spanish speaking patients (my friend is bilangual)
-300+ hours shadowing a PA in urgent care setting

This is the most relevant stuff I could think of that could help y'all in assessing her chances. She's also first generation college student in her family, URM (Mexican-American) and bilangual. TX resident, hoping to get some advice on what OOS schools to aim for as the ones she was going to apply to seem like reaches / very competitive to get into so I wanted to help her out! Thank you!

EDIT: So far the OOS schools she thinks she's applying to are UC Davis, USC (Keck), Touro, and Colorado Aurora - any opinions on what schools aren't worth applying to or what to add??

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It will be up to you guys to do the research on schools. Her stats and experience are good enough to get into a school that doesn't have strict health care experience requirements, but there are tons of those out there. Scribing really doesn't count for the places that are hard core about that, but that really isn't the majority of the schools out there anymore. Just look at each individual school you are interested in on their website. That's what most of the work consists of. The websites are usually very clear, but if not, give them a call. Only you two really know the specifics of where you are willing to live and how much you want to pay to go to school, not to mention if you have the necessary candidate profile a particular school is looking for. At this point, nobody can do that for you. But, yes, I think that overall, she has a decent shot at getting in somewhere. She will need a good essay. I don't know anything about what constitutes a good GRE score since they changed it. Touro would probably be most interested in her, but they are also the most expensive of the ones you mentioned.

Hi everyone & thank you in advance.

I am posting for my girlfriend, regarding her competitiveness in applying. Her application is submitted but she's having some doubts so she's considering applying to more schools, so I was hoping you all could help! Here we go:

-Graduated December 2015 w/ B.S. Psychology
- 3.39 cGPA 3.51 sGPA
-attended CC after graduation, 4.0 in all prereqs (taking Biochemistry & Organic Chemistry II this Fall)
-GRE: 152 verbal, 156 math, 3.5 writing
-800+ hours volunteering throughout undergrad (some leadership positions in Nursing student organizations)
-2000+ hours working as a medical scribe (w/ a Hispanic doctor that sees a majority of Spanish speaking patients (my friend is bilangual)
-300+ hours shadowing a PA in urgent care setting

This is the most relevant stuff I could think of that could help y'all in assessing her chances. She's also first generation college student in her family, URM (Mexican-American) and bilangual. TX resident, hoping to get some advice on what OOS schools to aim for as the ones she was going to apply to seem like reaches / very competitive to get into so I wanted to help her out! Thank you!

EDIT: So far the OOS schools she thinks she's applying to are UC Davis, USC (Keck), Touro, and Colorado Aurora - any opinions on what schools aren't worth applying to or what to add??

I would apply to a few southeast schools. Her URM status will help there somewhat

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app