Applying to Path plus another Specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DruidDoc

The Limiting Reagent
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this question has been asked before, but I've been reading through the old threads and did not find satisfactory responses, so I thought I'd throw it out there for discussion again.

APPLYING TO MORE THAN ONE SPECIALTY.

I know, some of you are already thinking, bad idea, but for some people who truly want to stay in one area, we have to consider it. I know that is hard for some people to understand, but those people probably don't have a family and such. Specifically, Path is my top choice, but there are only two path programs in the region I live in, and I can't be too confident that I will land a spot at either. With that in mind I have been thinking about applying to FP as a backup, since it is the only other specialty I like. Now these programs are all at different places so there is no chance I would get caught applying to multiple specialties at the same program. However, how can you do this with regards to your CV, Personal Statement, etc. Do you have to write 2 personal statements? A very vague one? Certainly someone has pulled this off and can advise.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

In your situation, the logistics are easier than you think.

Yes, you write two different personal statements, one for FP and one for path.

It gets a little trickier with letters but consider getting two general letters that can be applied to both FP and path. Make sure your letter writers know your intention of applying to different fields. These letters should attest to general traits like your work ethic and your personality. These letters should end with the sentence, "I strongly recommend without reservation this applicant to your residency program." Note how the *type* of residency program is not in the sentence.

Then get one letter specific for path. And one letter specific for FP.

That amounts to a total of 4 letters.

Now, when it comes to applying, you can select which letters and personal statements go to which programs.

As for the CV, it's generic. Your CV would be more or less the same regardless of the specialty you are applying for. Basically, you lay out your educational history, your work/employment experiences, volunteer experiences, professional societies, publications, and misc. info.