Applying to Pharm schools with past history of another Professional school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FireyDragon

Beach Day is everyday!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have attended another professional school and over time decided that it was not for me for personal reasons. After doing some research and really figuring out what would be best for me, pharmacy really seems to be a good fit.

I'm planning on applying to pharmacy school this fall (2008). I was wondering if other students who were in a position like mine applied and were accepted to pharmacy school? Also during the interview did they mention the fact that they went to another professional school or did they say nothing?

I realize that this question has been asked before but I am hoping for a more recent reply.

I am both excited and terrified of reapplying to professional school, taking some classes, the PCAT, and volunteering all over again but I really want to do this.

Any advice will be much appreciated. Thank you. :D

Members don't see this ad.

I think if you reflect on your decision in your personal statement that may make your app stronger. If you are convincing then they will realize that you put a lot of thought and extra effort into the decision to switch programs. If you don't do it right, it may look like you weren't going to do well and needed a fall-back or that you are wishy washy. Good luck! :thumbup:

Thanks for your advice. I will remember that when I start my application process.

Members don't see this ad :)
More than likely, they'll ask you to respond in your personal statement or as an interview question "Why Pharmacy?" or "What steps have you taken to ensure that Pharmacy is the right career for you?" In my opinion, I believe that people who are a bit older or have more "life experience" will have a more mature response to these types of questions. Although I'm a more traditional student, I used my life experience to an advantage. Originally, I had no clue what I wanted to do in life. Through various jobs, internships and volunteering in different health-care settings, I've discovered that Pharmacy is something I can see me doing in the long run. In your case, you can talk about your change in career choice. For example, maybe your previous career choice did not give you personal satisfaction, or that it did not make you feel as an contributer to society, thus, you might see pharmacy as a field where you can obtain both of these things.

Its going to come down to the personal statement and also the "efforts" you made to begin preparation for pharm school.

Unlike most these other prepharm students i didn't actually become "prepharm" until a little before i started applying in jul '07. I was headed for graduate school and while all these other individuals were getting pharm experience i was working in labs. it took a lot of work and many drafts of my ps to make my shift from research to pharmacy seem like a cool story and most importantly a convincing one. you really have to let them know this is what you want to do. also in interviews they will ask you what caused you to switch tracks so late in the game and what makes you think you won't do it again. just answer them genuinely and you'll be fine.

also, get a pharmacy job as soon as you possibly can. the effort you show in trying to gain exposure to the world of pharmacy is key in making admissions see that you really want this to happen.

i wish you the best of luck