Applying to prelim IM only

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RodofEbullience

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, posting the following on behalf of a friend:

A current 3rd DO student, with unique career plans (i.e. working in health care policy) which would only require 1 year of residency, and had some questions:

1. Am I allowed to only apply for prelim IM spots without advanced program?

2. If so, would it be less competitive to get into an prelim IM spot OR to get into normal IM residency?

3. Amongst Prelim IM vs normal IM residency vs Prelim Surgery, which one would be "easier" to get match into?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

if you are trying to get into any prelim program, it is easier to get into a preliminary spot. if you are trying to get into a "good/easy" one, then it might be more competitive than the categorical since all the derms apply to it.

prelim surgery is easy to get in, there are tons of unmatched surgery prelims every year.

you can also apply transitional years if all you need is one year which are stereotypically known to be easier. not all of them are, however, and it's not easy to predict which one will be easy.

there are also miscellaneous pediatric prelim and OB prelim years as well.

you should apply to a whole bunch and ask on your interviews how easy it is to transition from preliminary to their categorical program. although you have certain plans in place, it's always good to have a backup.

A current 3rd DO student, with unique career plans (i.e. working in health care policy) which would only require 1 year of residency, and had some questions:

2. If so, would it be less competitive to get into an prelim IM spot OR to get into normal IM residency?

3. Amongst Prelim IM vs normal IM residency vs Prelim Surgery, which one would be "easier" to get match into?

Thank you!

Even if you don't want to pursue clinical work, you'll have far more doors opened to you if you complete residency.

Reactions: 3 users

Thank you!

Prelim surgery is probably the easiest to match into, but your friend probably wouldn't want one. Any other prelim would be what I would shoot for. I would tell your friend to consider doing preventive medicine as an option for board certification (opens doors that are otherwise closed) and it gets you an MPH. All you need is one year of a residency (doesn't matter what specialty). Another option is family medicine which is a relatively easy specialty and can be a good transition to a preventive medicine residency.

Reactions: 1 user
... why not just apply to regular IM? Then, if things are lining up perfectly and he has another job offer after intern year there’s nothing forcing him to sign his PGY2 contract. On the other hand, it’s probably nice to have that backup in case this plan of doing nonclinical medicine doesn’t work out

Reactions: 5 users