Applying to public Texas schools. Feeling unsure?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

futureptihope

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi future PTs!

I just submitted my PTCAS application to six public universities in Texas and I'm feeling a bit unsure about the whole thing. My GPA isn't where I'd like it to be and I'm feeling like I might not get in. I'd love to get some feedback or hear from others with similar stats.

Cumulative GPA
- 3.54
Pre-Req GPA - 3.22
GRE - 160 V/ 157 Q/ 3 W
350 observation hours - 1 outpatient, 1 inpatient, 1 acute care in-patient
Extracurricular activities - Veterans club member, Strength and Conditioning club member, ASCM Certified PT, actively employed as a trainer at a gym for the last year, will have my Certified Strength and Condition Specialist certification by December.

I'm in the process of taking Bio 2 and hope to get an A. I'm also re-taking A&P 1 as I got a C+ the first time (took over 4 weeks in the summer - mistake!) and I'm fairly certain I'll get an A as I took A&P 2 from the same instructor. I'm hopefully my pre-req GPA will go up a bit, but I don't think it'll be much.

I applied to these programs:
UNT
UTSW
UTEP
UTHSC - San Antonio - applied before early offer
UTMB - Galveston
Texas State

I'm applying as an out-of-state applicant, however, I was born and raised in Texas. I joined the military after high school and spent 4 years as a combat medic. I'm looking to move back due to free school (Hazelwood Act) and to be closer to family - which I mentioned in school-specific essays. I am a veteran and Texas State had quite a few question relating to veteran status, so I'm wondering if they give priority to veterans?

I worked really hard on my personal statement to make up for my lacking writing score - I spent to much time on the outline for my GRE writing and not enough time actually writing.

Anyway, I'd love to hear from anyone who applied and was accepted to any of these schools - or even those who interviewed there. I'm hoping to get some SOMEWHERE but I'm feeling really discouraged.

Thanks!
 
I wouldn't be discouraged at all. I applied to several Texas schools too. While my prereq GPA is higher (3.8-4.0 depending on replacement), my overall is definitely lower (3.27) and my GRE was a bit different (152V 163Q 4.0AW). I just applied and haven't gotten any interviews but have received a lot of positive feedback after talking to schools about qualifications. Your stats really don't look bad overall but I feel they would be really good with another 12-15 credits of As in prereqs. I've took all my prereqs at a community college and feel I learned more than I did in most of my university classes while being more successful as well. Also, if you get the chance to retake the GRE after studying resources to improve the AW score, many schools will take the best scores from different tests. This ETS page really helped me improve my AW (from 3 to 4) by seeing how other successful students attacked the type of essay (https://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/prepare/analytical_writing/argument/sample_responses). Best of luck this year--even if you don't make it I'm sure you will next. Hope we all make it haha.
 
I wouldn't be discouraged at all. I applied to several Texas schools too. While my prereq GPA is higher (3.8-4.0 depending on replacement), my overall is definitely lower (3.27) and my GRE was a bit different (152V 163Q 4.0AW). I just applied and haven't gotten any interviews but have received a lot of positive feedback after talking to schools about qualifications. Your stats really don't look bad overall but I feel they would be really good with another 12-15 credits of As in prereqs. I've took all my prereqs at a community college and feel I learned more than I did in most of my university classes while being more successful as well. Also, if you get the chance to retake the GRE after studying resources to improve the AW score, many schools will take the best scores from different tests. This ETS page really helped me improve my AW (from 3 to 4) by seeing how other successful students attacked the type of essay (https://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/prepare/analytical_writing/argument/sample_responses). Best of luck this year--even if you don't make it I'm sure you will next. Hope we all make it haha.

I'm currently taking another 12 credits (Bio 2, A&P 1, an independent study/internship, and another strength and conditioning course) which will ideally all be A's so that could boost the cumulative GPA a bit. I wish I could retake Chem 1 where I got a C+, but it didn't fit my schedule at all this Fall and I'll graduate in December. I guess I could always look for Chem 1 in the Spring somewhere and just update PTCAS?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi!
I think your verbal and quantitate GRE look great! Your cGPA is right around average. Your pGPA is on the low end but pGPA is always the easiest thing to boost (because it only accounts for ~ 10 classes) so with the plans of retaking classes that you have it might help!

Have you thought about looking into St Augustine in Austin? It's a private school so it's pricier but I'm wondering if you would get free tuition there as well? I think you would have a good shot at that school 🙂
That could be a nice back up plan if you don't get in this round. St Augustine goes by trimester so you could apply there next semester. It gives you time to retake the classes you wanted to retake, and that way you don't have to wait a whole year before you can apply again.
 
Hi!
I think your verbal and quantitate GRE look great! Your cGPA is right around average. Your pGPA is on the low end but pGPA is always the easiest thing to boost (because it only accounts for ~ 10 classes) so with the plans of retaking classes that you have it might help!

Have you thought about looking into St Augustine in Austin? It's a private school so it's pricier but I'm wondering if you would get free tuition there as well? I think you would have a good shot at that school 🙂
That could be a nice back up plan if you don't get in this round. St Augustine goes by trimester so you could apply there next semester. It gives you time to retake the classes you wanted to retake, and that way you don't have to wait a whole year before you can apply again.

The Hazelwood Act (free school) thing is only for public schools in Texas or I would have applied there as well. Hopefully getting an A in Bio and A&P will give my pre-req GPA a little boost. Ideally I'd like to get into Southwestern, but it seems they're super competitive.