Applying to radiology as a backup field?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2oRadio

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on applying to a highly competitive field and was advised to have a solid backup plan in place.

When I first entered med school, I had my heart set on rads. Any chance I could potentially view radiology as a backup?

I'm a bit apprehensive as I won't even be able to get a radiology rotation in until October. (which means no radiology LORs on record, no radiology grades on record, no radiology away electives, and no radiology research)

Is this too risky? Would I be better off just ditching the more competitive option and going with radiology right off the bat? (I would say I'm a decent but not outstanding applicant for radiology. Boards are 250+, lots of honors pre-clinically, 1 year of non-rads research during medical school, lots of high passes clinically, outstanding written evals, non-AOA)

Or would it still be possible to match into radiology as a backup considering my stats? (Not even looking to enter a top 20 radiology program. A solid program with preferably a nice location would make me ecstatic as a backup plan)

Members don't see this ad.

Go for what you want to do and stick to it. Radiology is quite different than most other specialties and would be an odd "backup." I guess you could see a little similarities with Rad-Onc, but not too much.

If you have your heart set on Derm, Rad-Onc, Plastics, or whatever this secret specialty is, then you should try your best and if you don't make it, try again. It sounds like you are a stellar applicant and should have a shot at any specialty out there. Look at the NRMP statistics and see where you fall. If my memory isn't failing me then your boards are far above any one specialties mean and the rest of what you mentioned seems competitive.

I would devote all of your energy to matching into your chosen specialty and not have to worry about spending some of that to fall-back to Radiology. Just my opinion.

By the way. You would probably be able to secure a Radiology spot fairly easily considering you are not trying for the top 10. You would just have to sell it on the interview.

I hate saying this as you would be taking the interview spot of someone who knows that Radiology is what they want. But, that is your Karma, and you can deal with that however you like.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your question was well-timed because I just went through match with this situation. Coming from a Comp Sci background, I was considering either RadOnc or Radiology since these are the 2 specialties most technology-oriented.

At the beginning of 3rd year, I decided to try for RadOnc without truly knowing how brutally competitive it was. My Step 1 score was 236 and pre-clinical grades were all HPs with a few H's. I did RadOnc rotations at my home school plus a premier away program. My rotation presentations were excellent and I had great LORs. But my fatal flaw was lack of research and publications. Step 2 score was 254 but it came back too late to help me get interviews.

I had heard horror stories of people with solid credentials not matching in RadOnc. So I also applied for Radiology as a backup although not as extensively. Unlike RadOnc, I hardly put forth an effort with Radiology. I did get Honors in our required 4th year Radiology rotation and was able to get a Radiology LOR as a result. But that was it. I limited my applications to the Midwest and only to those institutions where I did not also apply to RadOnc.

I got only 6 RadOnc interviews and was able to attend 5. I estimated an 80% chance of matching in RadOnc based on my stats but lack of research was my undoing. I did not match in RadOnc.

I got even fewer Radiology interviews - only 4. None were from big academic institutions. But all my interviews were good and I ended up matching to my #1 rank in Radiology. There are only about 140 seats in RadOnc but 1000+ in Radiology so it was easier to match in Rads with decent scores and good LORs.

Given my experience, I have some advice:

1) Radiology can definitely serve as a backup provided you have good scores (and you defnintely do)
2) You probably need at least one Radiology rotation and LOR to make your application seem genuine
3) Similarly, your personal statement should be heartfelt on why you are seeking Radiology
4) Do not limit your Radiology applications to places where you do not apply for your primary specialty. Unlike in old days, departments probably don't check with each other on applicants. Apply to Radiology as extensively as you would to your primary choice. This will make your travel schedule a hassle but it's worth it in the long run.

Hope this helps. Good luck! :luck:

Radiology shouldn't sound like too odd of a backup, since we are supposed to follow our hearts and all you have to do is have a good story for how you're heart is also set on rad, a 250+ board should make you a serious candidate. As long as you're not applying to ortho and rad as backup b/c it would be weird that you're not applying to gen surg if your heart is set on surgery. I guess that would go for plastics too. I'm assuming you're going for derm.