Applying to residencies out of region without rotating in that region?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mclee0033

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm at an average med school in the SE, hoping to apply both to SE and western US programs. My ideal 4th year schedule would not allow me to rotate out west before applying. Should I expect some interviews out there without rotating first? Step 1 234, B grades. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't comment on out west particularly but this cycle I basically got nothing outside of the region that I did an away or my med school was at and I had a better step 1 score as well also I am not at a top tier big name place like harvard or something. With that said I think it's all pretty random some people got interviews at places I was shocked I didn't get one at so it's not all numbers.. But if you really are interested Ina region I would strongly suggest you work it in to your schedule.

Apply to and rank programs based on where you wanna go. Let them worry about whether they'll be interested in you.

Don't psych yourself out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviews can be kinda random. It seems harder to go from midwest to coast than from coast to coast but it's not impossible. It helps if you have ties (went to school in a region for undergrad, grew up in the area, etc) Might as well apply and you can always send them an email expressing/explaining your interest in a particular program once they start sending out interviews.