Working in another Country after Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AhhThnacks

Reaction score
I am interested in working in another country after residency. I wanted to know if anyone has had this desire or experience. Places like the Middle East, Australia, Europe.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there! I have not had this experience personally, but would like to as well and one of my mentors in medical school did this. It is easier if you're in some of the high demand, larger specialties (things like family medicine, EM, IM, OBGYN, etc.), open to being in a smaller or more rural city (e.g. not the capital), and only planning to stay <2 years. My mentor in med school was in family medicine, and she found a locums position in New Zealand for a year after finishing residency in the US. I don't know her personally but Mama Dr Jones on youtube is also an American obgyn currently working in NZ. I would start by looking for locums positions in places you are interested in practicing when you are about a year out from finishing. Also, remember that many of this positions will require you to be fully board-certified in your home country before being eligible, so that may also take some time (longer in specialities that have oral boards after a certain period of practice for example). Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Reactions: 1 user