Applying to school boyfriend already attends

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prettypinkbookworm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my boyfriend of 3 years is starting graduate school next fall at a very competitive institution. I will be a senior at my undergraduate applying to medical schools, but I really hope to get into the same school as him so we could continue our relationship. While the school is competitive, I have scores/grades that should make me a solid candidate; however, I'm curious if on the secondary I should mention him in an additional comments section. I would make clear that that school is a top choice for other reasons as well, but I am debating whether or not mentioning it is a good idea.

Does anyone have any experience with this or insight?

Members don't see this ad.

If it is in a location where they might wonder if you'd actually go there, then I would say yes, but call him your fiance. (E.g. if the school is in a cold area and you're from California). Otherwise, maybe skip it? I applied where my spouse was working and I didn't mention it in my secondaries, but I spoke freely about it in my interviews.

You may have some room on the secondary to mention this.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it is in a location where they might wonder if you'd actually go there, then I would say yes, but call him your fiance. (E.g. if the school is in a cold area and you're from California). Otherwise, maybe skip it? I applied where my spouse was working and I didn't mention it in my secondaries, but I spoke freely about it in my interviews.

I definitely don't want to lie and say he's a fiance, because a quick trip to social media would prove that isn't true and I don't think lying is ever a good idea. And @Banco there is a space for additional comments I could place it in, I'm just trying to judge the appropriateness of mentioning it.

I definitely don't want to lie and say he's a fiance, because a quick trip to social media would prove that isn't true and I don't think lying is ever a good idea. And @Banco there is a space for additional comments I could place it in, I'm just trying to judge the appropriateness of mentioning it.

If you don't want to lie then use the word partner, not boyfriend. Boyfriend might make it sound a bit less convincing that this is a serious plan and not just something that you'd prefer because of who you're currently dating.

Reactions: 1 user
"Significant other" is a good word I use all the time in medical school. Usually gets the point across maturely.

For the record, I would mention it if there is a space for additional comments. Just don't draw it out into an essay

My SO is a 4th year medical student applying to residencies soon. He is interested in matching to a couple of locations that I am applying to for medical school. I put in those secondaries that my SO is interested in matching there, and I have received IIs to both of them. Just my two cents! He'd be a great support system through medical education if we can end up in the same place.

I think it is appropriate.

just delete social media or deactivate it for a bit

Or... you guys could leave your social media up if you seem like a normal person who isnt engaged in questionable activities?

Reactions: 4 users
Or... you guys could leave your social media up if you seem like a normal person who isnt engaged in questionable activities?
Seriously, if anything just learn what privacy settings are....

I have a different last name for good old fashioned privacy reasons. I don't have anything to hide, but social media is for my friends and I really don't see the point of sharing my picture, tagged pictures, and posts with the world.

Privacy settings will do nothing for you if you are tagged in posts/pictures or post/comment on a public page. I'm not paranoid, but I do see the purpose in not being easily identified.

this. once its application time, all my social media will be inactive.
Or just learn how to block people from your personal page..?

I know social media makes people feel like special snowflakes who everyone wants to know about, but let's be real – no one cares about your social media site except you and your friends.

No one is going to check your Facebook. Learn to use privacy settings so that even if someone did, they wouldn't be able to tell

No one is going to check your Facebook. Learn to use privacy settings so that even if someone did, they wouldn't be able to tell

Yeah, just google First+last name + your undergraduate institution and see if your facebook profile comes up. If yes, then well change your privacy settings, name spelling, get rid of your profile pic etc. If no, then its fine. They will not do anymore than google. And if you can find anything more than your own linkedin profile from that google search (eg twitter, instagram, pinterest etc), then you got some scrubbing to do.