Applying to SGU where else in Carib?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vett9d1

Dazed and confused
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently on the waitlist for Texas A&M and not sure yet about UT Houston but need to have a backup plan. If I get my app finished in the next week or two will all the Caribbean schools still have seats open? I would think I could get into whichever Caribbean school I apply but maybe not?...what do you guys think I have a: 10P 10B 9V Q essay and 3.4 from a very competitive private school (Rice did choose to be our sister school a ways back lol). I have heard good things about SGU mainly on here but am considering applying to AUC, Saba and Ross. If you were to apply to one of the last 3 I mentioned with my current condition which one would you choose and why? I don't mind challenging living conditions I just want to get the best residency I can when it's all over...

Members don't see this ad.

Your MCAT is too high.

I can't tell if you are kidding or not I don't think having too high of an MCAT is possible right? I mean if I want to apply to the crappiest school in all of the Carib with a 35 then why would they not consider it I mean for all they know I really really want to live in the Caribbean or want to practice or teach there etc later on.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently on the waitlist for Texas A&M and not sure yet about UT Houston but need to have a backup plan. If I get my app finished in the next week or two will all the Caribbean schools still have seats open? I would think I could get into whichever Caribbean school I apply but maybe not?...what do you guys think I have a: 10P 10B 9V Q essay and 3.4 from a very competitive private school (Rice did choose to be our sister school a ways back lol). I have heard good things about SGU mainly on here but am considering applying to AUC, Saba and Ross. If you were to apply to one of the last 3 I mentioned with my current condition which one would you choose and why? I don't mind challenging living conditions I just want to get the best residency I can when it's all over...
Welcome to my world. Except I have a 32 MCAT. Will probably go to SGU or Ross. See you there.

Well Im just kidding.

I think the MCAT score for SGU and so on are in the 20-25 range. There are a couple of threads regarding this.

I also think that SGU and ROSS have rolling admissions. AUC def does.

Haha ok I thought so but I have seen some people on this and other SDN forums try to defend rather outlandish comments lol. Are you a Carib student or applying for this coming fall?

Well Im just kidding.

I think the MCAT score for SGU and so on are in the 20-25 range. There are a couple of threads regarding this.

I also think that SGU and ROSS have rolling admissions. AUC def does.
I applied to SGU. I'm pretty sure SGU's average is 26. It's on their site.

I can give you my perspective as an emergency medicine applicant and a Ross student. I would go with Ross. After interviewing at fourteen EM programs, it was clear that the majority of EM residents from non-US schools were SGU and Ross. And among the foreign medical applicants I've met on the interview trail, most were from Ross or SGU, one was SABA and I don't remember running into any AUC students. You also have to take into account that SABA doesn't have very many students to begin with compared to the other schools. I know Ross grads can practice in Texas (seems like you are from Texas) but I'm not sure about SABA or AUC... you should look into that.

Both Ross and SGU will give you the opportunity to become a quality physician in the US. I would advise doing some reseach regarding both schools (cost, location, match stats, etc). In the mean time, you have several options. You can apply to both schools for the upcoming terms and see what happens. You can re-apply to US schools w/your stats. Or, you could possible do a post-bacc program/re-take some classes for better grades. Your mcat is very good, and if i was in your situation i would try to get into a US program first, even if it meant waiting an extra year.