Applying to Southern Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fairyofsong

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!!

I'm sure there are a lot of you out there filling out applications & touching up personal statements. I was there a year ago! :)

I applied to Mercer, UGA & South. Please let me know if you have any questions about South, or just the application process in general. Getting on here gives me a break from school! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

I plan on applying to Mercer soon(within the week). Can you let me know how their application procedure(timewise) is? Also, did you get an interview there? Please let us know,
Thanks,
Rich

fairyofsong said:
Hey guys!!

I'm sure there are a lot of you out there filling out applications & touching up personal statements. I was there a year ago! :)

I applied to Mercer, UGA & South. Please let me know if you have any questions about South, or just the application process in general. Getting on here gives me a break from school! ;)

Do you remember when you submitted your Mercer supplemental app? I'm about to send mine, but was wondering what they would do in my case since Mercer is rolling and they won't have my PCAT until after I take it in October. They've had my PharmCAS one for a while.

How do you like South?

Members don't see this ad :)
Im also applying to Mercer and South :) Good luck everyone! I wonder why Mercer wants a picture... do you know? It seems like Mercer does A LOT of interviews (450 people). Did you interview at either school? What was it like? What kind of questions did you get? Thanks for the advice :)

ndearwater said:
Im also applying to Mercer and South :) Good luck everyone! I wonder why Mercer wants a picture... do you know? It seems like Mercer does A LOT of interviews (450 people). Did you interview at either school? What was it like? What kind of questions did you get? Thanks for the advice :)

did you check out the interview section on this site. I found it extremely helpful. You can see reviews from ppl who actually had interviews. I was able to compile a list of potential interview questions to study.

Hi everyone..

Sorry I made this topic and haven't been able to check it lately! Guess what I've been doing.. 3 tests and 1 quiz this week!! :eek:

I did interview at South and Mercer. I know when I interviewed at Mercer they told me about half the people they interview are accepted. I sent my Mercer application in as soon as possible. I had it ready and sent it as soon as I was able. My South application was sent in in November I believe? A little later.. not sure if I wanted to come here actually!

South's really a good school I believe. The curriculum is definately above par in my opinion. The faculty are great. So far I like Savannah too.

Starsweet--A friend of mine was interviewed before Mercer had her PCAT. She was told they just take chances on some people. So, in my opinion if you have a really great GPA, recommendations etc (all except you don't have PCAT yet) you still have a chance to be interviewed before PCAT is sent to Mercer.. if they are still operating this way.

Keep posting everyone and I should be able to check it more now!! :)

I know I keep asking this question over and over to everyone I talk to. I am really worried about my personal statement. How important do you really think the personal statement is to these schools? Do you feel that you had a really great one? Thanks for offering all the info:)

megrxgirl said:
I know I keep asking this question over and over to everyone I talk to. I am really worried about my personal statement. How important do you really think the personal statement is to these schools? Do you feel that you had a really great one? Thanks for offering all the info:)
Personal statement is very important. Not so much grammer but for the reasons why you want to be a pharmacist.

underwater said:
Im also applying to Mercer and South Good luck everyone! I wonder why Mercer wants a picture... do you know? It seems like Mercer does A LOT of interviews (450 people). Did you interview at either school? What was it like? What kind of questions did you get? Thanks for the advice

I believe South requires a picture too. This is done to make sure that the person being interviewed really is you.

I believe South requires a picture too. This is done to make sure that the person being interviewed really is you.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I never even thought about that! Getting someone to pose for your interview- oh my god! haha
I finished my South app today and it didn't require a picture (unless I missed something-oh no!) :)
Mercer does and so does Wingate in North Carolina....
By the way, PharmCas school pages says that like 1,134 people apply and 1167 get interviews. Obviously this is a typo or something. I'm thinking that should be 167. Also, UF says 10-12 interviews with 160 or something accepted. Anyone know some facts on this besides what's on the PharmCas page?

ndearwater said:
I believe South requires a picture too. This is done to make sure that the person being interviewed really is you.

Wow, I never even thought about that! Getting someone to pose for your interview- oh my god! haha
I finished my South app today and it didn't require a picture (unless I missed something-oh no!) :)
Mercer does and so does Wingate in North Carolina....
By the way, PharmCas school pages says that like 1,134 people apply and 1167 get interviews. Obviously this is a typo or something. I'm thinking that should be 167. Also, UF says 10-12 interviews with 160 or something accepted. Anyone know some facts on this besides what's on the PharmCas page?[/QUOTE]

Certainly a typo and you're probably right on what the correction should have been! South did require 3 passport sized photos when I applied last year so you may call and just double check :)

megrxgirl said:

I'm not sure how important the personal statement is. Just do your best and have your faculty advisor, English profs etc review it with you. My advisor was excellent and helped me with some revisions on mine. Just keep in mind this is your chance to tell a little about what you think is important/has been imp in developing your goal of becoming a pharmacist. Keep education, characteristics & goals in mind. Kind of like your past, present & future if that makes sense... Make it interesting!! Remember all of those English papers you had to write in highschool/college.. the BEST papers were the ones that pulled you into the paper from the FIRST LINE!! Same deal. Make it intriguing and interesting to read your statement (better than all of those boring ones that put the readers to sleep :) GOOD LUCK!

Hmm, I didn't see anything about South requiring photos. Maybe they will ask for them before going for the interview.

Personal statements suck big time, I'm still working on Mercer's!

Do you think that, as a general rule, if a school has cashed your check they are in the process of reviewing your app? :idea:

I got into UF and they said that interviews are not given to everyone qualified. they only give interviews to those that are considered "borderline." this school mainly looks at your gpa, pcat, and your essay. and as for the number accepted, i would think that it's a pretty accurate number...since they began sending acceptance letters late jan.

and starsweet...they might be in the process of reviewing it...but i think they're just mainly organizing your application together to give to admiss. then depending on how quick they are...it might take a few more weeks to get a reply from them. don't worry and good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
RxFabulous said:
I got into UF and they said that interviews are not given to everyone qualified. they only give interviews to those that are considered "borderline." this school mainly looks at your gpa, pcat, and your essay. and as for the number accepted, i would think that it's a pretty accurate number...since they began sending acceptance letters late jan.

I was interviewed by UF and so was one of my classmates, I had a 3.9 GPA and 98% PCAT. He had a 4.0 and 99% PCAT. What they questioned was our reason for applying to pharmacy school and not applying to med school, based on our personal statements. They told me that my statement came off as arrogant. Maybe that is considered a plus in med school apps? :laugh:

megrxgirl said:

Listen to Caverject. I know a couple pre-pharmacy students who were told last year point blank that their stats were competitive but they were rejected due to inadequate personal statements. They admitted themselves they put little time into it thinking their GPA/PCAT scores were sufficient. Take your time and write a good essay.

just to echo what's been said
yeah personal statement is important.
you have to remember that they are getting hundreds of applicants and they are all fully qualified appliants (it is my impression that if you do not meet their min. standards, schools can choose not to see your application)

you have to show them why you should be accepted to their pharmacy school.

a lot of schools are looking for well rounded individuals and will take that into consideration with GPA and pcat scores.

everywhere i applied required a picture or 3.

I got an interview invite from Mercer today (Monday) and the interview is on Friday September 30th..... I am stressin (but grateful)!!!!!!! I looked at the interview forum and there were about 7 feedbacks. Anyone have any extra advice or feedback for me; I'd greatly appreciate it :)
Thanks!

ndearwater said:
I got an interview invite from Mercer today (Monday) and the interview is on Friday September 30th..... I am stressin (but grateful)!!!!!!! I looked at the interview forum and there were about 7 feedbacks. Anyone have any extra advice or feedback for me; I'd greatly appreciate it :)
Thanks!

when was your pharmcas application mailed out to your designated schools?
Congrats on your interview!!!!! I hope to hear from Mercer soon.

PharmCas mailed out on August 25th and my supplemental was complete as of September 15th. I'm sure if you're done with PharmCas and supplemental you'll hear back soon! :luck:

ndearwater said:
Thanks!

cool. i'm interviewing same day, different school... good luck!

use this week to prep as much as possible on mercer and you'll do fine... :)

ndearwater said:
PharmCas mailed out on August 25th and my supplemental was complete as of September 15th. I'm sure if you're done with PharmCas and supplemental you'll hear back soon! :luck:

ndearwater do you care to remind me what your stats are. im just really worried i wont get an interview.

Good luck crossjb! (btw what school?)
Megrxgirl,
I am a reapplicant so my stuff was in early which I think helps. I have a 3.02, 86 PCAT and a BS in Psychology from UCF. I also have 3 years of experience as a pharmacy tech at Publix.
So far I have an interview at Shenandoah and Mercer... last year I got nothing, not a single interview. But my GPA was like a 2.9 and my PCAT scores weren't in until November so I couldn't be as early as I would have liked.
I know how stressful it is and how disheartening it can be to see other people start getting interviews. If you haven't taken the PCAT yet then just concentrate on doing well in that respect. Get everything ready to go and completed before the PCAT that way all the schools are waiting on is your PCAT score. Remember the majority of students applying probably have not taken the PCAT either. The fact that you are on this forum often and on top of your application says a lot about you! Good luck and hang in there- keep an eye on that mailbox
:laugh: :luck:

ndearwater said:
Megrxgirl,
I am a reapplicant so my stuff was in early which I think helps. I have a 3.02, 86 PCAT and a BS in Psychology from UCF. I also have 3 years of experience as a pharmacy tech at Publix.
So far I have an interview at Shenandoah and Mercer... last year I got nothing, not a single interview. But my GPA was like a 2.9 and my PCAT scores weren't in until November so I couldn't be as early as I would have liked.
I know how stressful it is and how disheartening it can be to see other people start getting interviews. If you haven't taken the PCAT yet then just concentrate on doing well in that respect. Get everything ready to go and completed before the PCAT that way all the schools are waiting on is your PCAT score. Remember the majority of students applying probably have not taken the PCAT either. The fact that you are on this forum often and on top of your application says a lot about you! Good luck and hang in there- keep an eye on that mailbox

thanks!! that makes me feel better.

ndearwater said:
Megrxgirl,

Congratulations on your interview; I am also a reapplicant (I only applied to UGA last year; I got an interview but was placed on the waiting list & didn't get in)... I submitted my pharmcas 2 weeks ago, so I'm just waiting on them to calculate my GPAs & send it out; I have already sent in my supplemental app to Mercer, so as soon as pharmcas is done, my file will be complete; hopefully, I'll be good like you & get an interview as well ;) anyway, my advice is just be yourself, don't be nervous b/c they really just want to get to know you... be sure and let us know how it goes...

Mercer seems like a really small college... how is the school community like there? Is getting from Mercer to places in downtown Atlanta pretty easy on public transport.? Or do most ppl have cars?

Also, it seems like Mercer P4 rotations are mostly limited to surrounding areas ... are most ppl at Mercer from around Georgia and the south?

I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes! Thanks for the encouragement!
From what I've read on the boards, the school community is very tight knit and even though the school is in Atlanta, it's sort of secluded. I didn't know the rotations were limited to the areas right around Mercer... I'm not sure about that. I didn't see that on the website. I guess I'll have to ask that :)
Anyone know if there is a hospital associated with Mercer?

Actually, sorry, that goes for South also... are most students from around that area? Hmm... I can see how many smaller private schools have undergraduate students from surrounding areas mostly, but would pharmacy schools be the same way? Just asking, b/c it would feel especially outsider-ish to attend a private pharmacy school really far from home, if that were largely the case.

nonyagirl said:
Actually, sorry, that goes for South also... are most students from around that area? Hmm... I can see how many smaller private schools have undergraduate students from surrounding areas mostly, but would pharmacy schools be the same way? Just asking, b/c it would feel especially outsider-ish to attend a private pharmacy school really far from home, if that were largely the case.

I know that Mercer accepts 45% out of state but I don't know what that breakdown is regionally. I'm from Florida so I wouldn't be too far from home. :)

nonyagirl said:
From PharmCas:

The student body at the Southern School of Pharmacy is diverse, as over eighty percent of the student body is drawn from outside the Atlanta area. Mercer attracts students from over 25 states and eight foreign countries. Minority representation thrives at Mercer and continues to exceed twenty-five percent.