Applying to the ERAS in November

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knightmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I even bother?

I'm sitting for Step 1 this September, and I already passed Step 2 CK (not my ideal targeted score).... I don't want to apply without both Step 1 and 2. Also, I'm sitting for Step 2 CS in early November...

I'm just concerned I may not be considered for interviews if I apply with only Step 2, but on the other hand, I don't want to miss being invited for interviews if I apply with both steps completed, but in November.

PS - I'll be applying for preliminary surgery.

So, any advice?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Should I even bother?

I'm sitting for Step 1 this September, and I already passed Step 2 CK (not my ideal targeted score).... I don't want to apply without both Step 1 and 2. Also, I'm sitting for Step 2 CS in early November...

I'm just concerned I may not be considered for interviews if I apply with only Step 2, but on the other hand, I don't want to miss being invited for interviews if I apply with both steps completed, but in November.

PS - I'll be applying for preliminary surgery.

So, any advice?
Thanks.

Prelim surgery is not very competitive. But the deadline for surgery programs is November 1, so you have to apply before then. A couple of places have October 15 as deadline.

I would go ahead and apply when your Step 1 is done as you are right, that is generally the most important part of the USMLE that programs will want to see.

Given that you are taking the Steps out of order, may I assume you are an IMG/FMG? If so, please note that some programs will not interview without all Steps completed and/or the ECFMG certificate (which you cannot get without all the exams being completed and passed). Not that Prelim surgery is very competitive, as I noted above, but you should check the requirements of the programs to which you are applying. No sense in wasting money if they won't even look at your application without the certificate or Step 2 CS and CK.

A deadline? So I can't apply after November 1st?

Yes, I'm an FMG... I read about the ECFMG certification "filter". Won't it be understood that I will be certified if I had already taken Step 1, 2ck and CS?

This is a frustrating point that IMG's run into. They ask on eras if you have an Ecfmg certificate. Most people don't have this certificate because it is only issued once you have graduated your medical school (as well as passed steps 1, ck and cs). However many programs exclude people who are not "ecfmg certified" when all they really mean is we want applicants to have passed step 1 and 2ck and cs before considering them.How does the IMG get around this? I have passed all the exams but have not graduated yet. Will i be cut off from programs because technically i don't have a certificate? All a bunch of nonsense if you ask me.

This is a frustrating point that IMG's run into. They ask on eras if you have an Ecfmg certificate. Most people don't have this certificate because it is only issued once you have graduated your medical school (as well as passed steps 1, ck and cs). However many programs exclude people who are not "ecfmg certified" when all they really mean is we want applicants to have passed step 1 and 2ck and cs before considering them.How does the IMG get around this? I have passed all the exams but have not graduated yet. Will i be cut off from programs because technically i don't have a certificate? All a bunch of nonsense if you ask me.

The reason that some programs demand a full ECFMG certification prior to interview is due to visas. You cannot apply for a visa until you have your ECFMG certification. Visa processing has become much slower and difficult. Thus, some programs simply exclude those without ECFMG certifcation.

Some programs will only care about scores, and for those you will be fine.

But if I already have Step 1, 2ck and CS, shouldn't that = certification?

Also, what about that "Deadline" for Surgery programs by Oct 15 or November? Does that mean I won't be able to apply after?

My results won't be out before Oct 29th.

The reason that some programs demand a full ECFMG certification prior to interview is due to visas. You cannot apply for a visa until you have your ECFMG certification. Visa processing has become much slower and difficult. Thus, some programs simply exclude those without ECFMG certifcation.

Some programs will only care about scores, and for those you will be fine.

Thats understandable, but if you are a USIMG and a citizen the fact that you don't have a certificate shouldn't hurt you at all as long as you have passed all your exams.A lot of the time I see on program's websites that the applicant must be ecfmg certified before the interview and when people ask for clarification they say you need to have passed step 1 and 2.So it is a little confusing when programs say they want people to be ecfmg certified because the literal meaning is that they should have the certificate.