Applying to Vet School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DreOnTheRise

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So what year do you usually take the GRE and apply to veterinary school? I'm guessing junior year?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

You should apply the summer/fall before you wish to matriculate. Typically that would be at the start of your senior year. An exception would be if you were planning to start vet school without a bachelor's, in which case the answer is still to apply the summer/fall before you wish to matriculate, so long as you can have the pre-reqs done by the end of the following spring semester.

Oh ok. Yeah I'm only going to be a sophomore starting this Fall. I know I still have awhile. So basically do all the required coursework before I apply. What about the GRE? Do I take that my junior or senior year? Most likely senior right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh ok. Yeah I'm only going to be a sophomore starting this Fall. I know I still have awhile. So basically do all the required coursework before I apply. What about the GRE? Do I take that my junior or senior year? Most likely senior right?

You can take the GRE anytime as long as it's before the five year deadline. What I mean by that is most schools will not accept a GRE score that is over five years old. This can be tricky though because the countdown starts when you matriculate, not when you apply. For instance, I'm applying to the class of 2021 so I would matriculate in Fall 2017. Therefore any GRE scores before Fall 2012 would not be counted. Also, I believe it depends on the particular school what their rules are, but I think in general that is how it works.

Oh ok I got it. Thank you so much for answering all my questions guys.

You can take the GRE anytime as long as it's before the five year deadline. What I mean by that is most schools will not accept a GRE score that is over five years old. This can be tricky though because the countdown starts when you matriculate, not when you apply. For instance, I'm applying to the class of 2021 so I would matriculate in Fall 2017. Therefore any GRE scores before Fall 2012 would not be counted. Also, I believe it depends on the particular school what their rules are, but I think in general that is how it works.
Yes, definitely check with the schools you plan on applying to. For example last year I know Illinois wanted GRE scores from within two years of applying. But anyway, it seems most people take the GRE the summer that they apply (so summer before senior year if you're hoping to graduate and then go straight to vet school), although you can certainly take it earlier.

Illinois is actually my first choice since it's my in state school. I also plan to apply to Tuskegee and Wisconsin. I highly doubt I have a shot a Wisconsin though lol. So in my case I'll be taking the GRE during the summer of 2018. I'll be a junior in the spring of that year. I do have hopes of going to Vet school right after my undergrad, but I know most people don't get in their first try.

Last edited: